We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Santiago, Chile
1 post
Save Topic
Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

So this is apparently the first year that an online system has been fully implemented for all campsites but I just found out about the reservation system and got to it late, only to find out that mostly everything has been booked. I tried to book Los Perros for December 4 and Paine Grande for December 6-7 and I'm having technical trouble booking some others and don't know what to do as I have bought most of my equipment already.

I just wondered how exactly the system works, do you check-in and get a tag? And as a last, desperate resort measure, how strict are they if I have to sneak in or could I just camp out on my own? I will be bringing my own equipment and everything but I don't know if they patrol the camp a lot?

25 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

My friend and I also have noticed that all campsites are booked. So you're saying we can just arrive at an office in Punto arenas or puerto natales and they will make it work? Also, I read somewhere that due to conditions and someone getting lost recently, the park is not requiring a mandatory guide. Do you know anything ahout this?

California
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Evan, when will you be in TdP? If you will be there during the TdP winter months, you will need a guide and will need to go with a group like Fantastico Sur or Swoop Patagonia or Rental Natales. If you will be going there after August, the online reservations for Fantastico Sur and Vertice Patagonia have not become available online yet. You can contact them at ventas@fantasticosur.com and at ventas@verticepatagonia.cl for help. The latest word is that they will become available in July. The free campgrounds now can be reserved online through the following CONAF website. You can book Campamento Italiano (the start of the French Valley trail; no food or camping equipment available, so you need to bring your own) and Campamento Paso (one stop along the longer O circuit; again, no food or camping equipment available there).

parquetorresdelpaine.cl/es/sistema-de-reserv…

http://int.fantasticosur.com/en/online

fantasticosur.com/blog/…

www.fantasticosur.com/torres-del-paine/map/

http://www.verticepatagonia.com/en

http://www.swoop-patagonia.com/visit/winter

Here is the link to contact Rental Natales to see if they can find a group with a guide that will be available during the winter months in TdP:

http://www.rentalnatales.com/tour.html

Good luck.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Hey Evan, just wondering if you managed to do the hike without any reservations...unfortunately Im in the same boat!!

Thanks

Adam

Edited: 30 August 2017, 22:40
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

It's my understanding from my research that you will need reservations and that you will be turned away if you don't have them. The park has become overwhelmed with visitors the past couple of years and they needed to start limiting the numbers to what they have capacity for.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

You will be sent back if you do the O without reservations(for safety reasons) for the W the rangers do not ask for it, if they do, just say that you have it on your phone. There is always space for camping, spetially on the W trek

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Hello,

Im wondering if anybody has an update for the 2017-18 season regarding the status of needing reservations to enter and proceed along the W trek. I am going in a week but I was only able to get one night only reserved through CONAF. However, I am hoping that if I go directly through the CONAF, Vertice, and Fantasico Sur offices in Puerto Natales, that they may be able to accommodate me at the last minute. Can anyone weigh in on how realistic this is? I’m ideally looking to trek alone and camp, as opposed to taking a tour. I’m also wondering what happened to you guys last season! Please let me know, thanks!!

Edited: 03 February 2018, 20:50
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Hi mate,

We are in the some boats, I think for what I am reading online, so many people had issue throw the booking

system. By the way I have flights booked and I will be coming in March. Will be you around?

This is my plan:

This is my plan and as I wrote only Seron booked.

This is my plan:

4th of March Seron I have a booking.

5th of March Dickson, no booking

6th of March Los Perros Campsite no booking

7th of March Campo Paso no booking

8th of March Campo Paso to Refugio/Campo Grey to Refugio/Campo Paine Grande, no booking.

9th of March Paine Grande to Campo Italiano to Refugio Cuernos no booking

10th Refugio Cuernos to Camp Torres no booking.

11th I will spend all day in Puerto Natales.

12th Punta Arenas all day and later in night fly back to Santiago.

I think the best thing as soon I will arrive to go to Puerto Natales offices and try to book there,

hopefully I will find a spot.

Stay cool,

Francesco.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Hi Francisco,

I’m actually headed down there in less than a week so all I can do at this point is hope for the best. I’ll update the forum afterwards with a report from the ground. Best of luck to you :)

Bev

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

Gosh, that scared me! You wrote "overbooked" which means they booked more than they have available. Sounds like what you mean is that they are "fully booked". Like many popular places on the planet, you have to book many months in advance to get a spot. I wouldn't go unless you have a reservation or stop into the office and see if you can get one last minute and have a back up plan in case you can't get a campspot. Don't try sneaking in...that would be a lot of money to spend to get turned back by the rangers (and I heard they are checking your proof of reservations) and it's very unfair to those who booked in advance. Just go someplace else and plan to come back another time and book at least 6 months in advance during the busy season. Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!

A good suggestion! Are you able to suggest alternative national parks that would be worth visiting? (We aren’t camping, but are a bit shocked at prices within TDP)

Edited: 06 February 2018, 21:35
Reply to: Campsites Overbooked in Torres del Paine!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted