We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes in Torres del Paine

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes in Torres del Paine

Hi there,

I am going to Torres del Paine with my mum. We are staying at Hotel Del Paine. I am trying to obtain details information on the hikes to assess their diffuclty to see if my mum could make them. I am lookinat the the Mirrador Torres Del paine and France Valley. I woul dlove to hear feedback from people have done these hikes and would not be already keen-hikers to understand how hard it is.

thank you

4 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes in Torres del Paine

How old is your Mom

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes in Torres del Paine

66 yo

California
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes in Torres del Paine

Hello. I just looked at Tripadvisor reviews of Hotel del Paine and see that it’s in the Serrano village sector close to the southern Serrano TdP entrance station (Guarderia Rio Serrano in the second map below). You will need a rental car to get there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g67…

The drive to Hotel Las Torres (the start of the Towers, or Mirador de Torres, trail) is about 2 hours away. This trail takes about 7-8 hours roundtrip for most people and climbs about 750-800 meters. To get to the French Valley (Valle de Frances) trail, you would need to drive about an hour or so to the Pudeto catamaran stop and take the first catamaran from Pudeto to Paine Grande at 09:00 (get there early and pay your 28,000 Chilean pesos per person roundtrip fee). After arriving at Paine Grande about 30 minutes later, you would hike about 2 ½ hours to Campamento Italiano, the start of the French Valley trail. You could then hike about 1 ½ to 2 hours up the trail to the first viewpoint (according to my GPS link of TdP, you would climb about 500 meters). You would then return the same way that you came and get back to Paine Grande about 20-30 minutes early so that you can catch the last catamaran of the day at 18:35 back to Pudeto. Here is a very nice post about the French Valley trail:

travelinghindsights.com/hiking-w-french-vall…

You don’t have to hike these pretty steep trails to enjoy TdP. There are other less steep trails that you can enjoy with your rental car. You can hike the lovely Salto Grande waterfall/ Mirador Cuernos trail near the Pudeto catamaran stop (see the maps below). It would take about one hour to drive from your Serrano area hotel to this trailhead. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the waterfall along this mostly flat trail and about 1 ¼ hours to walk all the way to Lago Nordernskjold. For more elevation gain and similar views of the beautiful Cuernos peaks and turquoise Lago Nordernskjold, you can hike the nearby Mirador Condor trail near the Explora Lodge and Camp Pehoe (see the maps below). This trail takes about 2 ½ hours roundtrip and climbs about 250 meters. From Hotel Las Torres, you can just walk about 2 hours one-way to Lago Nordernskjold on this mostly flat trail (no views of the high Towers peaks, though). There is also a trail near Hotel Lago Grey to the Lago Grey shoreline (about 20-30 minutes, including crossing a bridge and passing through a small forest before dropping down to the Lago Grey shoreline to see Glacier Grey in the distance).

fantasticosur.com/en/torres-del-paine/map/

https:/…mapa-torres-del-paine-chile

Good luck.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes in Torres del Paine

I agree with Elizabeth. You can easily drive and park and do short hikes to the view points.

Reply to: Hikes in Torres del Paine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...