We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Torres del Paine (TDP) in February. My girlfriend and I will be renting a car from Puerto Natales, and we hope to spend a couple weeks doing overnight backpacks as well as dayhikes in the park. I have found websites for reserving campsites operated by CONAF, Fantastico Sur, Vertice Patagonia, and Camping Pehoe, but I have not been able to find a website or email address to make reservations at Camping Rio Serrano. Can anyone provide me with this?

Thanks for your help.

6 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Hi!

This is the email: rio.serrano@cajalosandes.cl, its a huge camping so no reservation need it. Also consider camping peohe, which also you just can show up there and stay.

Cheers

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I noticed that the latest (12/2016) version of the Cicerone trekking guidebook for Torres del Paine listed this website for Camping Rio Serrano:

http://www.horseridingpatagonia.com

But the website does not mention anything about Camping Rio Serrano so I'm not sure if it is valid or not.

Camping Pehoe also looks like a good place to stay. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Hello. We never stayed at Camping Rio Serrano, but I remember being lost in the Hotel Rio Serrano area (this is outside the TdP Serrano southern park entrance) and asking some men for directions at what looked like an empty campground. Maybe this was Camping Rio Serrano? When I see the photo of Camping Rio Serrano from the 2007 post below, it looks like the right area. Hopefully, somebody else can tell you exactly where it’s located. Look at the second map below to see Acampar Rio Serrano (Camping Rio Serrano) just south of the TdP Serrano guard station (Guarderia Rio Serrano).

http://www.pbase.com/jorbenas/image/87148970

When we used our rental car to drive around TdP for 9 days in November 2013, we just stopped at the Amarga entrance station and told them where we would be staying for our 9 days and paid accordingly. I don’t remember being asked to pay a lot of money, but I just can’t remember now if we were charged any extra for our stay which included leaving the park several times to stay at both Hotel Rio Serrano and Patagonia Camp (both of them are outside the southern Serrano TdP entrance station). When we passed through the TdP Serrano entrance station, we just showed them our entry fee ticket. Sometimes, there was nobody at this entrance station. The views of the mountains in the distance are very pretty in the Hotel Rio Serrano area, but you will be closer to many places in TdP if you just stay at Camping Pehoe near Hosteria Pehoe since it’s right in the middle of the park.

You asked on another post if you have to leave the park when you drive to Laguna Amarga, Laguna Azul, and the Cascada Paine waterfall area. No, you don’t. You are in the park when you visit those areas. You would probably enter TdP at some point at the Amarga entrance station (and pay your park entry fee there). I can’t remember the exact time, but I would guess you drive about 30-45 minutes from this Amarga park entrance station to the Cascada Paine waterfalls. This road that leads to Laguna Azul was very good for a large group of guanacos and some rheas when we were there and is also a good opportunity to see the Towers from a different angle than you will get when you see them at the end of the Towers trail. We didn’t have to go all the way to Laguna Azul to see wildlife. If you look at this first TdP area map below, you will see the Amarga entrance station (Guarderia Laguna Amarga) and Guarderia Rio Serrano (the southern TdP entrance station). The Hotel Rio Serrano area (which may include Camping Rio Serrano) is just outside the park in the Pueblito Serrano area shown on the second map (unfortunately, the better zoom function for this second map is no longer available; you will get a very good map when you pay your fees and enter the park). When I squint, I see Area de Acampar Rio Serrano (Camping Rio Serrano) in the second map below near Pueblito Serrano (the hotel area) south of Guarderia Rio Serrano.

argentina-excepcion.com/es/mapas-argentina/m…

torresdelpaine.com/en/…

By the way, I used an older version of the Cicerone TdP guide and almost didn’t hike the wonderful Mirador de Cuernos/ Salto Grande trail near the Pudeto catamaran stop since the photo of the trail didn’t show the beautiful views of the Cuernos peaks in the background.

Have fun!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply - that's so kind and generous of you! Best wishes!!

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Hello!! I am going to Patagônia in january and I need to know some details!!! When We rent a car and stay at Camping Pehoe or Camping Rio Serrano for example, It doesnt need to be a Van, right? And we can sleep in a tent or in the car..can't we? Thank you very much!!!!! :-)

Munich
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?

Yes, you are right.

Beate

Reply to: Website or email address for Camping Rio Serrano?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...