We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

We are travelling to BLR next week with our 2 yr old and my parents.

Any particular day trips that you would recommend that are suitable for all of us.

Is there much to do in Kos Town (I heard there are little trains??)

Also how long is the coach transfer from the airport?

Any other tips for staying at BLR?

Thanks

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

3 island cruise on a suitable boat. Go down to Kos harbour in the evening and look at each boat to check it it's ok for a small child.

Hire a bike with a child trailer and cycle down to Tingaki and Kos town. Nice beach at Tingaki with lots of shade and some watersports - depending on the wind. Kos town look at the boats in the marina.

The little red/brown train does a town tour and then goes to the Asklepeion - a must do on Kos with its Hippocratic associations. It was running in June - I got stuck behind it.

There are good antiquities around Kos town (to the south & west) but whether suitable for a small child???

There' s a natural park at Zia but it's a climb up from the street.

The beach at Mastihari is also nice and has cheap sunbeds. The sea can be rough depending again on the wind. There's a water park about 1km se of Mastihari. I think they do coach trips from Lambi. Theokritos travel has an office in Lambi - they have a useful website and certainly will give you useful info.

http://www.theokritostravel.gr/

Transfer time - it depends if you're on the end of the Tingaki drops or the Lambi drops. Probably 45 minutes at least.

You can pick up a free map of the island & Kos from a little booth at baggage reclaim in the airport. On that subject the airport receives much criticism from many travellers for the queuing, the state of the toilets, etc. Be prepared!

Καλές διακοπές

Edited: 15 September 2014, 13:13
London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

That's really helpful. Thanks very much for the advice.

Any idea how much taxi would be from the airport to BLR?

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

I should have said that the airport problems are usually on departure rather than arrival (famous last words).

I should also have added that at Zia the Old Water Mill not only has splendid drinks, owners and a lovely view but also chickens and partridges rootling around and a couple of huge tortoises.

Taxi iirc is about 35€ one way from the rank and about 25 mins direct.

Edited: 15 September 2014, 13:49
London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

Sounds great! Good tips.

Do you know if it's possible to book a taxi for 5 passengers or will we be able to easily get a large taxi at the rank?

Think I'd rather pay the taxi than have the hassle of the coach!

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

Greek taxis are large Mercs. However your problem will be 5 (large) suitcases. Pre-booking is usually more expensive. Why not hire a car? Route finding is easy enough and wacked out 5 ways shouldn't be much.

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

Or have a look at resort hoppa for the transfers they are very reasonable and reliable to and from your hotel BL

London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

We will only have 4 cases and a buggy.

My son will prob sit on a lap too, so do u thjnk we will be ok with just getting one from the rank?

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

I think it's wise to investigate a resort transfer as suggested although they charge per person though probably not for the child. The prices are for a return usually. Remember you'll have to return to the airport.

Most taxis have straps or bungees to attach cases and they often travel with the boot lid raised to fit luggage in as two big cases fill the boot normally.

I can't remember if any taxis are minivans rather than Mercs. We booked a transfer so I wasn't so bothered about a taxi.

London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

We do have coach transfers included but was just thinking a taxi would be much quicker and it doesn't work out much to pay if we can all share one taxi.

London
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue lagoon resort / Kos- things to do, transfer times etc

We do have coach transfers included but was just thinking a taxi would be much quicker and it doesn't work out much to pay if we can all share one taxi.

Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations