We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest advice before booking

4 posts
Save Topic
Honest advice before booking

Hi everyone, been looking at villas on villaplus for june next year, (not many available) but found one called villa laura, sueno azul, callao salvaje. Has anyone been to this villa/resort any advice and honest opions welcome. Family of 4, 2 parents, 20 year old and 13 year old, we dont drink alcohol but still like going to restaurants etc. Want quiet but not dead, fuzzy eaters so need supermarket nearby. Usually go to amadores, gran canaria,(hotel) but this is first time in tenerife and in a villa. Please advise before i spend a fortune. Thank you in advance

13 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest advice before booking

I have friends who live in Callao so visit frequently, but I don´t like the place.

It has a beach and the black sand is very sharp so tough on the feet. Quite a few restaurants some good, some used to be and now a bit iffy and others totally over-rated. A couple of bars, Paddy McGinty's and Buzzin Bar.

Sueno Azul is an old timeshare complex so the villas to the best of my knowledge are old bungalows. Some will be nice if the owners have looked after them, others will be just good enough for holiday lets. There are a couple of small supermarkets but way over-priced. If you need to get to a decent size shop you have to head towards the motorway and use Lidl, Treble or Mercadona, so a car makes sense.

I also find the pavements particularly bad as they are very uneven, have steps in strange places and covered in doggy droppings - always have and no sign of it getting better.

No doubt you will get some who stay there and like it, but the above is my honest opinion and hasn´t changed in the 12 years of living here despite some of the modernisation that has taken place. :(

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest advice before booking

My honest advice . We've stayed here for a few months each winter for the past four years.

We always hire a car and couldn't stay without it ,but that applies to anywhere we have stayed in Tenerife.

We like Callao ,but we have friends who live here and we have a good social life so that makes a difference .

It's very hilly . There are quite a few restaurants. Most are very reasonably priced and the food is good . There's certainly a wide variety . Callao caters for mainly French so a lot of restaurants are French but there are Italian ,Spanish ,Danish , Indian and an excellent BBQ beach cafe , plus the usual Irish etc.

There are a few supermarkets. The Couvran is quite good for food and quite well priced . The Hyperdino ihas more choice but overpriced for essentials . There isn't a butchers , so fresh meat isn't available unless from the Mercadonna a few kilometres away . But there are two excellent French Bakeries. There are a couple of good places for coffee too.

Entertainment in the bars is very low key. Not really worth mentioning.

I think a 20 year old would be very bored !

Sueno Azul Is quite nicely laid out . All bungalows .Some look very overlooked , some very well kept others not so much .

The area of Sueno Azul is nicely kept with trees and shrubs .

I have stayed a few times in Gran Canaria and Tenerife is totally different so youncan't really compare .

The bus service is quite good and there are some nice coastal walks around Callao and over the bridge into Parisio if you don't mind hills , the Hard Rock Hotel might appeal to your children.

Really difficult to know if you would like it . We happily spend three months there but everyone's tastes are different .

Edited: 31 July 2017, 23:26
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest advice before booking

Hi thanks for your honest opinions. We've been going g/c for the last 4 years (same hotel) and wanted to try somewhere else (preferably a villa), is there anywhere in tenerife you would recommend or one one of the other islands.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest advice before booking

There's nothing really similar to Amadores in Tenerife ,except.maybe Costa Adeje area but it's mostly expensive hotels and restaurants with prices to match .

I think maybe you would be better in a hotel as it might be a bit isolated in a villa for your children ?

Lanzarote would probably be a better place for villa type properties and Playa Blanca there is a nice resort .

Looking at the photos of Amadores , I don't think Callao would be suitable .

Good luck :)

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest advice before booking

Hi. Have been to Amadores and agree with previous post that Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, would probably suit you well. I personally think you might find Adeje (lovely as it is) a bit too busy for you from what you say your requirements are. Might be worth taking a look at what villas are available around Playa Blanca, then ask on that forum for any recommendations. Good luck with your search!! 😊😊

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honest advice before booking

Thanks for all the advice, i'll have a look at p/b lanzarote and adeje tenerife, hopefully find somewhere. Might even go in hotel as a bit cheaper than villa and i just want to test the areas first incase idont like it atleast i wouldnt of spent thousands. So thanks again

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honest advice before booking

Hi, we arrived in Callao Salvaje yesterday staying in 3 bed apartment - four of us including our 19 & 17 y/o's.

Found very little in the villa market at sensible prices with what we wanted, this place has plenty of room to spread out both inside and out. Apart from supermarket shopping and the adjacent (shared) pool, we've not explored - we are not after heavy nightlife but do enjoy evenings out eating etc. as a family.

Good luck with your planning!

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honest advice before booking

Hi Michael. If you're doing a lot of self catering it might be best to take a taxi to the Mercadonna which is about 15 mins away as their e prices are a lot cheaper than the village supermarkets.

I found the Couvran wasn't too bad if you stick to the Spanish makes and the Couvrans own brands .

That said the Euro rate is going to make everything very expensive now .

Edited: 06 August 2017, 12:42
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,060 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honest advice before booking

There are no beaches like the beautiful Amadores on Tenerife though Amadores is a white gritty sand imported from Mexico .What Tenerife has is imported Golden sand which in being honest is better for sitting/ laying on than Amadores and children can at least build sandcastles in Tenerife There .And as yet havent found a place quite like Puerto Mogan on Tenerife either .The recommendation for Mercadonnas for shopping really is your best bet if your self catering

If you have ever been to Shopping Centre Atlantico on the edge of Vecendario 20 mins from Puerto Rico GC .Atlantico has a Carrefour supermarket in it talking up most of the ground floor level but you may have seen a Mercadona between Atlantico and Vecendarios main one way street there is a mecadonna too just over the other side of the zmain street next to a bingo hall in Vecendario they are in competiton even with Carrefour.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honest advice before booking

We had 10 days in this resort at the end of July and we were very disappointed. We had a 16 year with us and there is nothing to do in this resort on an evening. We don't like really busy places like Playa Las Americas and I thought this would be better for 10 days our first time in Tenerife. We like Lanzerote but would not go back to Tenerife. Villa we had was lovely big spacious and could not have been better, booked through Tenerife Villas on line and I highly recommend them. We hired a car and it was needed. Beach was closed for swimming on 5 days out of 10 and the sand is not want you want to lay on when you can't go in the sea to swim, shower was not working either. Now this was not their fault as they had algae in the sea so it was really dirty and was closed 2 days because of that the other days because it is rough, apparently quite often but I did not know that before we went. So we went in the car everyday to different beaches and found a lovely one at Playa del Duque, in Costa Adeje, a few miles down the road. That was lovely, nice beach with shower, bars and restaurants and walkways on the front. Callao Salvaje has no where to walk just downhill to a beach and back uphill to the village. After 11 in the evening everything closes down and there are no shops open to walk around, no bars to sit and watch people walking about as there is no where to walkabout. So again if you have a car you might go elsewhere each evening for a little more evening entertainment. It was too quiet for us so unless you want to be back in your villa by 11.15 and just enjoy your own company we can't see the point. Enjoyed the day trip out to Teide but found not much else to do. Callao Salvaje is not for beaches, not for swimming, not for evening strolls, not for sightseeing but you might have a fantastic villa holiday with a car if you just want to stay in your villa. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Honest advice before booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Callao Salvaje
Recent Conversations