We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter months in Callao Salvaje

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
winter months in Callao Salvaje

We are thinking of renting an apartment for the month of Feb 2018 in Callao Salvaje. Can anyone give their opinion of this area for the winter time? We are not big night life people but would like some nice restaurants for the evening and a nice beach. We like walking and exploring areas. We have a good price for an apartment in Callao Salvaje but I am concerned it is too far north on the island and that it is not a nice place.

5 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter months in Callao Salvaje

Callao is in the west of the island, not north, it has quite a steep hill going from the main road down to the coast and IMO the beach now they have it isn't the best but it is OK. A few restaurants but they seem to go up and down in the quality of food served. Otherwise not much there and I feel a car would help.

It's just my opinion but if you are coming from Canada it seems a shame to be stuck in a relatively isolated small village, when there is so much of the island to explore.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter months in Callao Salvaje

We have stayed the last four years in Callao in the winter months .

We like it but We do hire a car for the time we are there,and I do feel it's essential but then again I couldn't spend the winter anywhere in Tenerife without one .

As said above it is very hilly ,but we are both nearly seventy and we find the hills good cardio exercise !

There are quite a selection of restaurants ,Canarian Spanish ,French ,Italian Indian ,Danish ,Belgian two great fish restaurants and the obligitary Irish and English . The village itself has a Pharmacy ,two excellent French Bakeries ,hairdressers ,bank and a few supermarkets.

The beach is black sand but has good sunbeds with a bell bar service ,a good beach bar and an BBQ restaurant that does excellent BBQ food all day. It's in quite a sheltered spot .

They were in the process of widening the walkway down this winter so hopefully that will be finished next year.

There aren't a lot of walks in Callao . You can walk across a bridge to Parisio where there is a nice coastal walk ,but we use the car to drive for walks in different resorts.

One big plus for Callao is that statistically the west gets the most sunshine in Tenerife and we do find other places can have cloud when there's none in Callao.

It's not a big resort and it's not upmarket like Las Americas etc but their restaurant prices reflect that and we have always felt safe there.You will pay a lot more for accomadation in the bigger resorts .

If you could maybe have a look at it on google earth it might give you a better idea of the layout .

Edited: 06 June 2017, 18:13
Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter months in Callao Salvaje

Thank you for the information very much. If you know the area could you take a look at the accommodations we are thinking of and give me your opinion. We are renting a car for sure but we do like to come back to a quieter apartment at night.

https://www.vrbo.com/6815634ha…

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter months in Callao Salvaje

Thanks, we are renting a car and plan to explore the island. We just wanted a nice apartment to spend the evenings / nights and the odd day around the pool/ beach. We just didnt know if Callao S. would be way too small/ we would like to eat out sometimes/ and not have to drive kms to find groceries. I was just afraid it would not be warm up the coast.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter months in Callao Salvaje

Sent you a pm Diane .

Reply to: winter months in Callao Salvaje
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Callao Salvaje
Recent Conversations