We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodden Town Grocery Shopping

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

I'm seriously considering renting a small cottage on Bodden Town Road, near Wood's Close turning, next May. How far is it, approximately, to the nearest shop to get the basic food stuff - milk, bread, pasta, that sort of thing. Anything within about a 15 stroll is fine by me (I won't be renting a car and would consider myself reasonably fit). I plan to use the buses to get around the Island when exploring, I just don't want to feel I have to get one if I suddenly run out of milk (cost isn't really an issue, I've no problem paying a bit more to support a local business while I'm there).

Thanks for any info.

8 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

I am fairly familiar with Bodden Town but I am not clear about the area you are describing. Bodden Town is both a district and a village and the main road we take into BT is Shamrock Road. Can you be more specific about the location?

There are lots of places to shop for groceries in Bodden Town and Rubi's Gas Station on the main road sells the basic supplies you describe. There is also a small liquor store in the same little mall near Rubi's. The Grape Tree Café is right there too and you can get local fish carry out and eat it at an umbrella table on the beach - but the Grape Tree Café is only open on the weekends.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Many shops are closed on Sunday so if you arrive on Saturday you may want to pick up a few items right away. Also, even though you don't mind a 15 minute stroll, it is very, very hot in Cayman and if you are dragging a bag of groceries it will feel even hotter.

Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

It occurs to me that you might be referring to Frank Sound Road that you take from Old Man Bay to Bodden Town? I think that North Side Sue might be better able to advise you as she is very familiar with the East End, sorry!

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

Thanks so much, the rental I'm looking at looks, going by Google maps, close to The White House restaurant, if that's any help, possibly a bit out of the main town part.

4. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 April 2020, 02:11

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

Thank you, I'm thinking it might not be the right base for me after doing more research, it was more the unit I really liked to look of, rather then the location.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
35 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

If you plan on buses for transportation and do not plan on having a rental car, location is a big factor. SMB is your best option. Buses do not go everywhere on the island and schedule, even where they are frequent during the daytime, is very limited after about 7-8 PM.

Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

"...the rental I'm looking at looks, going by Google maps, close to The White House restaurant..."

Now I know where you are interested in staying and you are correct that the road is called Bodden Town Road. I always think of Shamrock Road as the main road into BT but it becomes BT Road as it runs through town parallel to the water.

The White House is East of the Turtle Nest Inn where we like to stay and it is within walking distance of the Rubis Gas Station Store and the liquor store but it will be a rather long, hot walk.

We love Bodden Town because it is more residential, less developed, and less pricey than the Seven Mile Beach area but I wouldn't stay in BT without a car. It is centrally located on the island and easy to get to most every place - but by automobile. The TNI rental price includes a car because it is essential. There is a good bus system on Grand Cayman but it runs less frequently in the more remote areas.

I agree with the others that you should either plan to get a car or stay in the central 7MB area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Save

Thank you to all for the excellent advice which I'm taking, as I haven't driven a car in 20 years it's best I don't inflict my driving on this lovely Island! So I'm looking at alternatives with more walkable amenites. Hank you all again.

Reply to: Bodden Town Grocery Shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodden Town
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.