We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay

Mundelein, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Save

We are arriving August 6th for 8 days. We are a family of 6 with our kids ages between 20-24. We are divers. We have narrowed our search between 2 rentals. --One in Bodden Town and one in Old Man Bay. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the snorkeling, etc comparing the 2 areas? We are leaning towards Bodden Town due to the economic cost of the rental.

5 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
211 reviews
99 helpful votes
1. Re: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Save

Both locations offer access to excellent shore snorkeling and diving. Neither will offer access to an expansive swimmable beach or extensive restaurant options like SMB.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Save

I have never stayed in Old Man Bay but we have stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town several times and we really love it. There is great snorkeling from the beach right outside the door, and Bodden Town is centrally located with easy access to all parts of the island.

It is a more suburban, less developed area (which is what we like) but it is only about 10 to 12 miles from the restaurants, shops, and attractions of Georgetown, West Bay, and Seven Mile Beach so that makes things convenient.

We have visited Old Man Bay but never stayed there. It seems to be a nice, pretty, quiet, undeveloped area. It is a little further away from many of the GC attractions than Bodden Town but not terribly far. I believe that North Side Sue has stayed in Old Man Bay so perhaps she can advise you.

Tsetudo can give you advice about the best choice for snorkeling but we have been very pleased by the snorkeling available off Bodden Town.

Whichever area you pick you will need a car, but I suggest renting a car anyway because there is a lot to see and do on GC. Wherever you decide to stay you are smart to stay in a rental condo, apartment, or house because eating out 3 times a day is very expensive in the Caymans. We rent a 1 bedroom apartment at TNI with a full kitchen and we often prepare simple breakfast and lunch meals and then go out to enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant. Our rental at TNI includes a compact car.

I am sure you will have a lovely time wherever you decide to stay!

Edited: 4 years ago
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
3. Re: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Save

There may be some good shore diving in Old Man Bay, but there's an area almost 2 miles long that's a no diving zone. AFAIK it extends "only" as far out as the dropoff, so you could potentially do the surface swim and then dive the wall, but that surface swim would be between about 800 and 1400'. Even if you're hoping to do a bunch of shore diving that's not a major factor, since there are plenty of places to go shore diving. Both areas will definitely have some good snorkeling fairly close by, but I'd give extra weight to a place that has good snorkeling right out the door.

If you have plans to dive with an op along the west end Boddentown has the clear advantage of being closer. If you want to dive the east end either location might be closer depending on exactly where they are and which east end op you use.

Hopkins, Minnesota
Level Contributor
59 posts
59 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Save

My husband and I just snorkeled both places this week and we have stayed at the TNI before. I thought the snorkeling was much better off old man bay. It was a bit shallow, but coral was extremely healthy we thought and also caught a glimpse of the wreck of Geneva Kathleen.

However, that being said, I agree with others that there is not much by old man bay, more by TNI. As much as we loved the TNI, we prefer now to stay on Smb and drive to our favorite north side snorkeling places. Testudo's guide is a must.

Trip report next week!

5. Re: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 May 2016, 23:05

Reply to: Bodden Town vs. Old Man Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodden Town
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.