We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station / Hertz car rental office

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Train station / Hertz car rental office

Hello TA experts,

Ashford Castle is our second to last stop before Dublin. After driving all around Ireland, my husband said he’d entertain the thought of dropping off the Hertz rental car and we all take the train in to Dublin.

Do you know if there’s a Hertz office near a train station close to Ashford Castle?

Do you think we should just drive into Dublin and return the car there? I believe the drive is 3 hours??

4 replies to this topic
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station / Hertz car rental office

Nearest Train station would probably be Galway., but I don't believe that Hertz has a location there. They used to have one at the Galway Airport, but with it's close to Commercial Aviation, I believe the car hire desks closed as well. You would need to verify with Hertz.

Train Info: irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-galway

There are a number of interesting stops along the Galway to Dublin Airport M6/M4 driving route, so that three hour drive could be nicely 'broken Up' -- and extended. If you DO opt to drive, I suggest dropping the car at the airport and taking a taxi or bus into City Center, though.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station / Hertz car rental office

You'd be lost without a car around there - hang onto it and drop it back in Dublin.

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station / Hertz car rental office

Direct motorway from Galway to Dublin Airport.....that would probably be yoyr best bet. I couldnt find a Hertz drop off in Galway City.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station / Hertz car rental office

Thank you all for your input. We will have our car till we head to Dublin. My husband was thinking we dump the car at/near Galway train station and take the train in to Dublin. Is the train ride 2 or 3.5 hours.i keep getting differing info.. Someone told me that Enterprise has a office near-ish the Galway train station??

Reply to: Train station / Hertz car rental office
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cong