We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

southern vt
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

HELP I need to book tomorrow! Athletic Kids 11 &14

important points:

we will go to ruins, cenotes, lagoons, town

we want a good beach-snorkling

We want service -esp beach and pool!

We want decent food

ACTIVITES!

We like finer things and 1st time to mexico for kids and we haven't been since 1993!

SO MUCH INFO. I NEED to decide! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

I replied to your message.

But based on your recent post, I would say the Barcelo. You are a lot closer to the ruins, I did not snorkel off the beach, but I saw others doing it. There is pier where it is a little rocky and there are fish and other animals to see. We saw a small octopus or squid down there. We felt the food was better even with limited ala cartes. I don't think they have beach service though.

We did atv tour through Jungle Jim's atv (not too far from resort) and had a good time. You drive to a small zoolike place and then to a cenote. Below is link.

www.junglejimatvs.com

southern vt
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Thank you so much for your detailed e-mail. I would say barcelo as well BUT feel IB has more for kids? I read that Barcelo Palace was very quiet and dull for teens. Is that true? Do they have an animated staff? Beach activites?

Love that the Barcelo has top shelf liquor and I love the rooms

Love that Ib has great pools for the kids (although Barcelo has a great pool too and being that my kids usually swim in ponds, anyw ill do!)

Love that IB has mini golf and pottery painting.

Love th beach service and food at beach at IB

Both are 20 mins from Playa?

I am going to now go see how has the best deal. Stay tuned.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

I was unaware that IB* has mini golf. Does anyone know if that is true?

Just so you know letitsnow, Barcelo is about an hour from the airport, not 20 minutes.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 13:41
Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Oops, just saw that you said 20 minutes from PDC, that's probably about right.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Having been to both of the resorts, I think you would be more satisfied with the Barcelo.

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Just returned from Maya and my 9 and 14 year old enjoyed it. It was a holiday week so there were many many kids. The wave pool was great! I do not know about the Barcelo but while we were there a family transfered over from the Bacelo and said there was nothing for the kids there( a teen and an 11 year old)They were also not happy about how they had to make reservations for the restaurants. There was a line and then no reservations available. Sorry this was not my experience but they were very happy at the Maya.

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Just returned from Maya and my 9 and 14 year old enjoyed it. It was a holiday week so there were many many kids. The wave pool was great! I do not know about the Barcelo but while we were there a family transfered over from the Bacelo and said there was nothing for the kids there( a teen and an 11 year old)They were also not happy about how to make reservations for the restaurants. There was a line and then no reservations available. Sorry this was not my experience but they were very happy at the Maya.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Been to both with my kids and hands down the Barcelo.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

letinsnow

The Iberostar does not have mini golf, but a golf course.

southern vt
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IB maya or Barcelo Palace - Yes, me again- tween boys!

Now my Biggest issue is finding a resonable rate. I went on Barcelo's site and it was $8900 for a family of 4 at the palace (not deluxe), 8 nights, NO airfare. WHAT????? This was US dollars

I can't find anything on Orbitz or Travelocity. Anyone have a great suggestion for booking?

I THINK I will try Barcelo Palace first, the Iberostar. At this point I just want to be booked! So Frustrating.