We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most effective pre-beach workouts

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
most effective pre-beach workouts

OK people, any suggestions? I had a baby 8 months ago and would love to hear success stories of any good pre-beach work out routines (assume a 4-8 week window before the trip). You should know that I do eat healthy and exercise daily. It seems I have hit a wall. I am not expecting miracles---just looking for some possible new ideas to get the post baby body into some kind of bathing suit state for our trip to SMB. :) BTW...every single pound was worth it...just a $#@!% losing it!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,264 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

Spinning and water aerobics (deep water) do it for me. Both burn tons of calories and the aerobics is great for firming without the impact. If your local YMCA has an indoor pool, they usually offer water aerobics.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

I to have a 7 month old and will be in a bathing suit soon for vacation!!! So I have been going to the gym 3-4 days a week.

It all depends on what you need to focus on. Do you need to tone or loose some weight? And different people bodies respond different to workouts. For me Pilates and core work well for toning. And I always do 2 miles on the treadmill or elliptical before I workout, just to burn some extra calories.

I also need to focus on my thighs so I do lots of lunges and squats!! SO FUN!!! hahaha

I see you live in Boulder, you could find a good hiking trail and walk, run or bike.

If you dont know what a core workout is go here, exercise.about.com/library/bltotalcore.htm

You can do this without a ball too.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

I agree with both of the above. I do spin classes 3 to 4 times a week plus time on the eliptical. The best way to increase your metabolic rate and burn more calories is to work the large muscle groups so that means the fun squats and lunges. I go to a strength class for these or do weights on my own. Good luck and congrats on the baby.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
4. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

Great ideas. I am very active already---I do tons of walking and hiking. Being a stay at home mom at the moment is making the gym hard so spinning and swimming are a challenge these days. I LOVE spinning. I am starting pilates and yoga so hopefully adding that to the mix will help. A friend is an instructor and she has passed along some great at home yoga workouts. I know I can do more lunges and squats too. arggghhh...

ma
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

Be sure to change your exercise routine - cross train REALLY WORKS - I was doing spinning 4-5 days a week and hit a plateau - decided to drop two spinning classes and add two days on the tread mill - It made a huge difference - I too am a healthy eater and have exercised for years - changing your routine truly does work :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

This is probably going to be totally unhelpful, but for what it's worth, try not to stress too much about the baby weight; I know it's natural to want to be slim and toned, but try not to get too hung up on it :-)

Anyhow, in terms of diet and exercise, swimmming and water aerobics are good all-round exercise; and as you've mentioned, pilates and yoga are good for toning, and are low-impact. You could also try increasing your brisk walking to a jog a few times a week. You could also invest in an exercise mat, which will give you more flexibility than going to the gym, as you can fit it in more easily around looking after the baby. Exercises which are good are stomach crunches and sit-ups for toning your abs, and squats etc for toning your thighs.

Diet-wise, in the UK there's a slimming club called Slimming World, and I'd HIGHLY recommend their plan. You basically choose to follow an original day, or a green day. On both days, you get 'free' foods: these are foods which you can have unlimited amounts of. On a green day, these foods are: low-fat cottage cheese; low fat yoghurts; pasta, rice, potatoes, lentils, baked beans etc; eggs; low-cal drinks. On an original it's basically the same expect with unlimited lean meat instead of the rice, pasta, etc.

You then get 'healthy extras', and are allowed 4 of these a day. These include: milk; cheese; bread; then, if you're on an original, rice, pasta, potatoes etc, and if you're on a green, meat.

You then gets 'sins'(5-15 per day), for things like alcohol, and treats like chocolate, crisps, etc.

I'd really recommend this type of diet as it's really easy to stick to, nothing is forbidden, you never go hungry, and it really works; you can lose loads of weight without doing a stupid fad crash diet. They have a website which might be worth checking out.

Hope that helps!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

Sorry, should also mention that fruit and veg is obv classed as free food too.

Germany
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

As you mentioned you are staying home, how about getting a Wii + Wii-Fit.

It offers different types of workout like Yoga, aerobics, muscle workout, etc.

Apart from that it is really fun and motivating with the little Miis.

Some of the exercises are pretty basic, but others are very good to burn calories and tone your body.

I am enjoying my Wii very much and hardly go to the gym anymore....

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

With a baby and limited time - I suggest the 8 minute workout series on DVD. You can do 8 min. abs, 8 min. thighs and so on. It is a great fill in for those days when you cannot get to the gym!

10. Re: most effective pre-beach workouts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Playa Paraiso
Recent Conversations