We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
65 posts
34 reviews
advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

We are leaving for the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in May (yes I know, late in the year, but it is a free trip with my company) and I love to snorkel. Was wondering if I should bother to pack my gear? Is there anywhere within walking distance of the resort to go snorkeling? Some fo the reviews on TA seem to indicate that even swimming off the beach is not great, let alone snorkeling or diving. Also some of my travel companions have had negative experiences with being unable to get a lounge chair near the pool at other esorts, unless they were at the pool at 8:30 am to "reserve" one before breakfast. Is this the case at the IB Grand too?

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

It is not worth bringing your snorkelling gear unless you plan a trip off of the resort. You can swim at the Grand if you walk a bit left of the resort. The water tends to be quite rough and while it makes a swim fun it is not much good for snorkelling.

We never had a problem getting a seat at the pool or on the beach. There are many chairs. There are chair hogs everywhere who place towels on chairs to reserve them but this is less likely to happen at a more upscale resort such as the Grand.

What a nice company trip!! Have fun.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

OSL is bang-on; we brought our gear last year but the water was too rough for snorkelling (but great for body-surfing).

Are there any openings at your company? :)

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Kwtraveller22,

Let me guess your company will be there from May 17 to 24????

TaloBalo1

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
65 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Yes TaloBalo, that's right. I take we will see you there too? ;-)

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Yes, but since I'm not a qualifier.... I won't be in the meetings...... beach for me!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Wow - what a great company trip. You will really enjoy the Grand. Skip the snorkeling though, unless you want to drive a while south to Akumal or Half Moon Bay.

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
65 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Me too, I figure why should I get up early for them, when they are usually just a waste of time anyway.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Head north via taxi 10 minutes to Puerto Morelos and take a snorkeling trip out to the reef there. It is really excellent snorkeling.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

Is it easy find the reef 10 minutes north of iberostar ?at Puetes

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: advice on snorkeling at the IB grand? should we bother?

If you take a taxi into Puerto Morelos, there are plenty of dive/snorkeling operations. You can also book a snorkel trip from the hotel, but those tend to be half day excursions. I prefer just booking an hour-long snorkeling trip - we get motion sick in the water after a while.

The reef off Puerto Morelos is really amazing. When we stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun, we paid $60 for two people to snorkel. It was a 5 minute boat ride to the reef.

Have fun!