We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iberostar grand or royal pdc??

nj
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
iberostar grand or royal pdc??

please help me pick between these two!! these are my final choices...i love that the royal is close to pdc but the grand is more my style...can anyone tell me if they stayed there and what they thought! thanks!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

My husband and I stayed at the Royal last April. It was really nice. The beach is really clean and not many rocks. The pools were a little cool but we spent most of the time on the beach. The food was good with no reservations needed. The service was good for the most part. They did not always clean the room when they said they would but, we wern't in the room too often. It was nice to be able to walk to 5th Ave. But, we went twice and that was enough.This year we are going to the Grand. I just like to try different places. I did however recommend the Royal to all my friends. It was a very nice hotel. They offered plenty of liquer and food all day long. Hope you will be happy with whatever choice you make. I don't think you can go wrong at either.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,541 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

We are staying at the Royal but here are my thoughts.

1. The grand looks to be GRAND. HIGH end everything...

2. The Grand would have cost about 1500 more for us to go to. Cost was an issue for us so the Royal made sense in the budgeting category.

3. The Grand is part of a "set" of resorts so there are a lot of options for stuff to do but we really wanted to be within walking distance of 5th avenue. 5th avenue is just so amazing and we can't wait to walk "home" at night from there.

If we had the $$$ we may have considered the grand. I considered it- more like dreamed about it but we just don't have over 4K to spend. The grand is more my style than it would be my husbands. He doesn't notice things like thread count, or concierge service like I do. With that said, I am sure the Royal will give me a bit of luxury while keeping to our budget.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

I haven't been to either but the grand does offer many more amenities. If I ever could afford it I'd go there. Read the reviews of each and make sure to look at the travelers photos which are now on the top right of each review page( not the top or left). It will say "travelers photos and videos" Click on "view all photos". You get personal butler service at the Grand. You can eat lobster all day if you want. Just tell them what you want to eat and they will make it for you (it doesn't have to be on the menu). Your talking pure luxury. The Royal gets great reviews but I'd have to say that these two resorts are in two different categories (and you pay extra for that).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

We looked at both and opted for the Grand. We were pleased with our decision and would definitely go back again.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

Bridgenut has been to both - I haven't seen here on this forum for awhile though. She said the Royal was her favorite - UNTIL she went to the Grand.

If being close to 5th is important, definitely better off going to the Royal. It sounds like the Royal has a more lively crowd, but I think the Grand is more luxurious and will have a quieter beach.

nj
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

can anyone tell me which one has the better beach?? thanks!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

The Grand's beach is a lot less crowded. With the Royal being right in PDC, the beach can get crowded. The beach at the Grand is beautiful, but there are rocks at the entrance to the ocean. You just have to walk to the right or left to enter the ocean.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

As far as the beach at the Grand, it kind of depends where you are staying. I stayed in building 70 on the beach and we could walk right in, but I did hear that building 71 has rocks in front of it. So, if I was staying in 71, I"d probably use the lounge chairs in front of 70 to be able to walk right in.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

I thought the beach at the Grand was gorgeous and made even more so because there were very few people on it. When you crossed the invisible line at the Maya's border you'd just turn around and run back. People and chairs everywhere! We are definitely beach people but the beautiful infinity pool was just about on the beach so you could walk right over and jump in, even if you were sitting on the beach. Just perfect.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iberostar grand or royal pdc??

Oh,to be floating in that pool overlooking the ocean must be heaven. I can't believe some of the pictures I've seen. Maybe I'll hit the lottery tomorrow. Just beautiful.