We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fethiye from Sarigerme

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
797 posts
50 reviews
Fethiye from Sarigerme

We are staying at the Hilton Sarigerme next month. We would love to spend a day in Fethiye, holidayed there many years ago. I wonder if anyone knows whether the journey is do-able independently by dolmuş, and if so how long the journey would take.

Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
305 reviews
1. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

You will need to get the local dolmus to Ortaca, the nearest town and from there a local bus to Fethiye, they run quite regularly and take about an hour and a half. From Ortaca you can pretty much reach anywhere in Turkey and definitely worth going to nearby Dalyan too, might be worth doing that first to get an idea of the times etc.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

HIre a car for the day from around £10.00. No faffing around with buses and you can come and go as you please.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Wow - that is a fantastic rate for a hire car - for just one day!! (normally one day costs a lot more than the daily charge when hiring for a longer period!) Can you tell us where you get that rate from, FJ?

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
797 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Scousemouse,

Thank you for that information. I will think about a trip to Dalyan too. We haven't been there since about 1990. Bet we will see some changes.

Frances-Jane,

Thank you also for responding so quickly. Your car hire suggestion sounds tempting, especially at those prices. Can that be done locally in Sarigerme?

Helen

manchester
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Really cheap car hire. Is this from Fethiye fj

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
138 reviews
6. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Hi Almondson; unless you know Fethiye well (which at times is chaos with traffic), I would stick to public transport which is very good in Turkey. Both the bus and dolmus services are excellent. The bus wouldnt take a lot longer than driving! As for hiring a car, never seen one that cheap and have hired them before.

Edited: 17 August 2018, 13:34
Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
797 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

DCM-lincs,

We have visited Turkey many times, and always enjoy travelling independently on local bus and dolmuş, so will probably not hire a car. We have only done it there once, and the traffic was much lighter then.

Thanks for your reply,

Helen

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

I was thinking that whilst this car hire at £10 a day mentioned by FJ is very attractive - until anybody else knows just where you can get such a deal from and whether it is available in Sarigerme as you asked Almondson, DCM made a valid point about driving and parking in Fethiye. On the other hand, I have always enjoyed getting around by public transport - it somehow is "part of the holiday" - the challenge to find your way around from bus station to bus station, and work out what you have to do next! Neither of you have to drive so you can both enjoy the surrounding scenery. Meeting your fellow passengers: exchanging notes with other travellers or accepting the peach offered to you by a local farmer. I have been on buses with chickens, a goat, and once in Greece with a prisoner handcuffed to his guard whilst a guy played a bouzouki at the back! You don't experience any of this while sitting in your rental car!

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
797 posts
50 reviews
9. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Attagul,

Yes, it is all part of discovering the local culture, and an experience not to be missed by either of us. Our trip to Fethiye will be a 'walk down memory lane'! Although we now enjoy the luxury of 5* AI hotels, we love to get out and about, and mingle with the local people. I just wish that my Turkish was better. I get by, but only just!

Edited: 17 August 2018, 22:20
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Fethiye from Sarigerme

Easy to park in the Marina Car Park in Fethiye opposite McDonalds. We park there and we always hire a car for a month at a time. We rarely try to park in the street in Fethiye, The Marina Car Park is about 5 minutes walk up to town.

As the year wears on Car Hire gets cheaper. My neighbour hired a car last year from an Agency in Calis. He got it for 2 days at £20.00. It was a small car, but got him around.

Personally, i like to have a car and come and go as we please, but everyone is different.

Strange so many people want to know where to hire a car, but then admit they do not want one??

Edited: 17 August 2018, 22:46
Reply to: Fethiye from Sarigerme
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarigerme
Recent Conversations