We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scratch card touts "winner"

3 posts
2 reviews
Scratch card touts "winner"

Was stopped by 2 women who asked to scratch card to see if won, amazingly we did!!! Was then taken to an "Internet cafe" to claim prize and was told to just keep saying yes and take a brochure, we would be in and out in no time, after nearly 2 hours of time wasting by a bloke with very bad breath and even worse he was no more honest than delboy, we decided enough was enough and left. The whole thing was designed to get you into a "club" being the flamingo resort near Porto colon, adeje, "the Internet cafe" was an office, we were taken to see a "typical 4* standard room" shown around the flamingo and the whole time was plied with figures and wouldn't it be lovelies, at no point did he say that it was a club and when he mentioned "our members" I asked what will it cost to become a "member" was re routed to another answer via another question. So to cap it off the women were dishonest, the salesman was dishonest and the manager was just slimey. My inverted commas are there because it was all a sales pitch with the most dishonest people I like to call scumbags, the name of the company? Www.grandholidays.com but hey guess what no such website but there is a grand holidays club which took over the flamingo some are time share some aren't BE AWARE of 2 women with long blonde hair, one with a cap and one without, south enters with the gift of the gab, AVOID AVOID AVOID

3 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

P.s we were lead to believe that the brochure could offer cut price holidays, that was the pulling point, who wouldn't want to see what they could save?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

this kind of thing has been going on for many years & is well documented ....never " scratch " anything but my bum now whilst on hols !! not many are reputable and if you sign anything you dont have the same " cooling off " time to get back out of the Ageement ( thats if you could ever find the head office tel no !! ) All you need to tell them from the start is....we dont carry credit cards on holiday & they wont even bother with you ! all they want is for you to part with a large enough deposit to sucker you in . why waste your precious ...holiday time .

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

I cannot believe people still fall for this scam. It has previously stated been going on for years.

Afew years back I had the same experience. I was given a scratchcard went through the process of you have won. There are none that I know of that you lose. They started to try and hype the win, With that I ripped the card up and put it in the nearest bin. They were gobsmacked and avoided us after that. This is about 15-20 years ago

up north
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

sorry to hear timeshare touts are still in force..i always advise 1st timers to tenerife about them if possible ..

Edited: 15 May 2013, 19:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
2,020 reviews
5. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

Warned everyone about these two women,when we returned in February.They were operating opposite Jacaranda Hotel every morning.Also others operating around Market Thursdays and Saturdays.Plus others operating on walkway to Porto Colon.Always remember,just say NO.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

Can't believe people are still falling for it,its a scam pure & simple???

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
688 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

Just returned from Adeje, saw three lots of coulpes walking with touts with a hand full of scratch cards. We commented that we thought it had been stopped and the couples must be very gullible. Yorkshire saying 'you don't get owt for nowt'.

Glossop, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

Sadly the scam is still going on. We had this in Feb 2014 - had just arrived in Playa de las Americas..... Lots of "sharks" with scratchcards hanging around and you get a two pronged attack - the first crossed the road to greet us and hand us a scratchcard "to promote a market" - then tells you that you have won a bottle of wine and can collect it from a tourist information office just along the coast - the second is then called over - and opens another scratch card and - of course - you are a "big winner" - it could be one of four major prizes - with the least being 120€ in cash.

Whatever you do - don't take any notice at all.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 09:33
north west england
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
561 reviews
9. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

It's the old adage - if something sounds like it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

up north
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Scratch card touts "winner"

people still fall for this con though !! must be first time visitors ?

Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje
Recent Conversations