We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
First timer

Hi all

We are looking to book a week in Lanzarote in January, are there any old towns with typical Spanish bars/restaurants etc? Not really into British/Irish bars

Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: First timer

Are you looking to stay in "old towns with typical Spanish bars/restaurants etc" , or in a resort and hire a car to get out and about to see the sights of Lanzarote?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: First timer

I've looked at most resorts, we are undecided where to stay, dont mind hopping on a bus or getting a taxi to more old style towns, just wondering if there are any?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: First timer

You'd be better asking in the Lanzarote forum rather than this one. You'll probably get more useful answers. Having said that, you could look at staying in Tias which would give you the best of both worlds.

https:/…tias

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: First timer

You really need to go inland to get a more Spanish feel. Tias, as has been mentioned, or Teguise (Not market day) and also Haria. However, these are all fairly quiet, especially during the day. Lanzarote does not have the same ambience as, for example, the inland towns of Andalucia.

Did you do any research before booking your holiday? I would have thought that Playa Blanca would have suited you better.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 23:30
Manchester
Level Contributor
669 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: First timer

Stay in Arrecife!!! Lots of typical Spanish restaurants and not a british bar in sight!!!

There’s also things to see and do in Arrecife and the buses to all parts of the island also go from here if you’re wanting to get out and about but don’t fancy hiring a car. Few hotels to look at are The Gran (tallest in Lanzarote with amazing view!!), Miramar and also Lancelot. I’m sure there’s a couple of others but names escape me

Edited -

Check out his link for lots of great info about Arrecife https:/…arrecife

Edited: 19 September 2018, 06:28
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: First timer

Thank you all so much. We haven’t booked yet, I’m trying to decide where to go, we usually go long haul but I’m looking for a shorter flight time and the canaries seem to be the best option at that time of year.

We have been to the other islands but was a very long time ago, so thought try something new. We have considered Playa Blanca.

Thank you again

Edited: 19 September 2018, 08:02
Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: First timer

Just be aware that the weather in January can be very 'iffy'. Days can be warmish, but cold at night, and always a chance of rain. Better than the UK, but nowhere near as warm and sunny as most long haul winter sun destinations.

I agree about the Spanish feel of Arecife, but personally would not want to spend a week there, especially in January.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 08:18
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: First timer

Hi KM_1983, we like to visit rural towns/villages when in Lanzarote. Car hire is good but then one is restricted to no alcohol. Bus is best option; Tias, Yaiza, Macher, Haria, Teguise would be ideal via bus if they were direct. One would generally have to travel to Arrecife to connect to most bus routes to 'hard-to-get-places'. Best advice is to plan for the day to go to one place, take note of bus time-table and walk around. You must note that many locals struggle with English language but that's the fun of it. Note too that siesta is usual in the towns/villages therefore restricting lunch times eg 2-5 pm would be the regular time for siesta. Even in Arrecife many shops etc would be closed during those hours.

Reply to: First timer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen