We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar or Stari Grad?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hvar or Stari Grad?

We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. We are debating staying in Hvar or Stari Grad for our 3 night stay on Hvar Island in June. We will not have a car. We want to do a few activities (sea kayaking?), a day trip to another island, and explore Hvar island a bit (as best we can without a car). I realize there is a bus for transportation. How easy would it be to travel between Hvar and Stari Grad if we stay in Stari Grad and do activities? Or would there be enough of activities in Stari Grad? We will not be partaking in much night life as we enjoy decompressing after the day.

Input on which city to stay in for our stay in Stari Grad? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Stari Grad
Stari Grad
Hvar Island, Croatia
Hvar Island
Hvar Island
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
5 replies to this topic
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hvar or Stari Grad?

I would stay in Stari Grad, as it sounds as though you don't want the partying of Hvar town.

I haven't seen any sea kayaks for hire anywhere on Hvar. It can get very windy in the afternoon and I have seen windsurfers blown half way to Brac! There are small engine 25 hp boats for hire in Stari Grad and Vrboska and you can go to the small island just off Vrboska, Otok Zecevo or potter round the inlets.

There are local day boat trips to Brac from Vrboska, leaving c 8am and back at 5pm at a cost of c 80 kuna pp.

There are free evening concerts in the main square in SG several times a week.

You can hire bikes in Stari Grad and cycle around the World Heritage Site of Stari Grad Plain. Hvar town is a half hour bus journey away for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Stari Grad
Stari Grad
Hvar Island, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Brac Island
Brac Island
Vrboska
Vrboska
Hvar Island, Croatia
Stari Grad Plain
Stari Grad Plain
88 Reviews
Hvar Island, Croatia
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hvar or Stari Grad?

Great - thank you so much for the response!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
56,015 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hvar or Stari Grad?

Have you thought about Bol on Brac? I think that would be a great place for your teenagers with water activities.

Mentioned in this post
Bol
Bol
Brac Island, Croatia
Brac Island
Brac Island
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hvar or Stari Grad?

Stari Grad will probably fit your requirements and save on the premium rates of Hvar Town. Cyclign is fun - you can go to Vrboska (miin Venice) and Jelsa on bikes.

Mentioned in this post
Stari Grad
Stari Grad
Hvar Island, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Vrboska
Vrboska
Hvar Island, Croatia
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Jelsa
Jelsa
Hvar Island, Croatia
Diamond Bar, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hvar or Stari Grad?

Hi

I just saw this thread and wonder if you had stayed in Stari Grad or Hvar? How was your trip? Would you advise me about the place that you stayed at and how convenient it was to get from Split to your location as well as from your location to another island. I will be going in September 2018 and not sure where in Hvar I should stay at so it's convenience for exploring the island as well as ferry/Camaratan to go from Split to Hvar then Hvar to Korcula back to Hvar and Hvar to Split.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Stari Grad
Stari Grad
Hvar Island, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Split
Split
Korcula Island
Korcula Island