We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to afghanistan

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Road trip to afghanistan

Hi every one im in earlly stage of planning a road trip from uk to afghanistan with my own wehicle, so i konw about all border crosing till iran, some countries we need to have CARNET BUT am not sure about crossing from ISLAM QALA to herat, my question is any one know m i allowed to take my own brish registered plate car to Afghanisn has any ONE GOT experience? Please shere if you know any thing about crosing the borer as i said thanks

4 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
84 posts
1. Re: Road trip to afghanistan

I drove across the country from Pakistan to Iran in 2009-2010, and crossed the border at Islam Qala / Dogharoon. I was in a UK plated car.

You can read about my experience here: https:/…

You do not need a carnet to enter Afghanistan, but you should have a Route Pass issued by an Afghan Embassy.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2. Re: Road trip to afghanistan

Euroasiaoverland

Thanks alot for reply i have read about yout trip befor what a wanderfull advanture iwill do the same in 2019

One more question please

Did you stamp your carnet in exit from iran side ?

And did you obtain the road pass from afgan embassy in iran or from uk ? Thanks in advance ...

Edited: 04 September 2018, 06:45
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Road trip to afghanistan

Hi. I sincerely advise you not to take your car into Afghanistan. The security situation is getting worse and worse with the dangers of kidnappings and roadside mines a constant threat. Anyone with an ulterior motive who sees your car and your number plate will immediately know your a foreigner and that would immediately put your life at risk.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4. Re: Road trip to afghanistan

Abz132

Thanks for your kind advancei would difnatly consider the security matter, actually im more interested about border crossing rules in iran afghan what documents we need ETC

Reply to: Road trip to afghanistan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Afghanistan
More Afghanistan Topics