We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations, please

Which Riviera Maya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland OR
Level Contributor
40 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations, please

I posted this on the Quintana Roo forum but think I need this more specific forum so am posting it again.

I am a female "older" mom with an active 17-year old daughter. We have spent 6-7 spring breaks on the Mayan Riviera, but I won't tell you where so as not to prejudice your advice. I want your suggestions for a 4-5* AI with beach volleyball, soccer (if possible), and other activities for my girl and peace and quiet areas for me.

She does not enjoy snorkeling or other ocean activities, but I love them. I know some places are better for snorkeling than others. She isn't keen on sitting around at the pool for very long, although at times she has enjoyed it. I like the pool area, but I tire of constant activities, rowdy music blasting from the loud speakers, and activities staff yelling into the microphone all day.

Last time, she spent almost all day playing beach VB and beach soccer, which she liked a lot. I, however, found it difficult to find a place for me to settle down. They even were playing music on loudspeakers down at the beach, which is a real shame.

Swim-up pool bar is a must; top shelf liquor not so important, although I do like a good mojito. Ice cream stations desireable.

Evening entertainment quality and/or discos not so important (I am not fond of Vegas-type shows and tend to go to bed early, and she doesn't really know the difference). Large pool with some variety a plus. Day-time entertainment staff who get along with shy but athletic teen girls a plus.

Quiet room essential for me to sleep happily.

Thank you very much.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations, please

Grand Palladium will suit you and your daughter just fine, they have everything you have listed, multiple sports for her and nice snorkeling for you, large pools and very quiet jungle rooms. They even have a quiet small pool by the bigger pool connected by a small bridge at the Riviera side so she can participate in the activities at the main pool while you are sitting by the small one. The only thing I do not remember if they have is a beach soccer - they have a real field for it though.

Portland OR
Level Contributor
40 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations, please

Thanks. I don't know that resort, but I see that it's about a 2.5 hour drive/shuttle from the airport, which makes me pause just a bit. I'll give it some thought.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations, please

The transfer time depends on the type of the transfer you get. I book my own private transfer with the USA transfers (used them numerous times) and last time we got there in 55 min (but it was at 2 am so the roads were empty). It may take about 1.2 hours to get there in a day time with the private transfer. It was $130. Booked on the entertainment-plus dot net web-site.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations, please

Barcelo Maya Palace might also be a good fit.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations, please

I agree that Barcelo Palaceor Barcelo Tropical/Colonial are also a good choice (and it is 10 min closer than the Grand Palladium).

But they do not play beach volleyball at the Palace's beach only at the Tropical/Colonial beach. There are less quiet areas by the Barcelo's pool.

Portland OR
Level Contributor
40 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations, please

I have been looking at the Barcelo group. If we stay in the Palace, my daughter would still be able to take advantage of the rowdier activities at the adjoining facilities. Tempting. The Palladium looks quite nice too; just never looked into it before. Thanks again.

7. Re: Recommendations, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:42