We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

We will be arriving to our Anaheim hotel around lunch time on Wednesday March 21st. Our plans is to visit the beaches in OC (in this order); (1) Laguna Beach; (2) Fashion Island; (3) Newport Beach and Balboa Pier + Cruise; (4) Evening at Huntington Beach + Dinner.

a) Is this do-able?

b) Am I correct to assume that Huntington Beach area would be the best place to end the day with a dinner and walk on the beach?

c) Is Huntington Beach Pier + Boardwalk lighted and safe for an evening stroll?

d) Any tips or advise appreciated.

Thank you. :-)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

No -- it is totally unrealistic.

I assume you will be coming off a 14 hour flight? You are going to get right back into your car after dumping your luggage and drive 40 minutes to Laguna Beach? You'll have lunch someplace and if you want to see any of Laguna Beach, you'll have to be there a couple of hours at least. Fashion Island is a shopping and entertainment mall where you could spend hours. Harbor cruises take a couple of hours including boarding and disembarking. You would then drive up to Huntington Beach?

HB Pier is lighted and safe but it closes at 10:00 p.m.

I suggest you pick ONE of the above locations for your afternoon.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

Thanks LSCats...

ohh... so sorry... I realised I am missing some details in my post.

We have a car and we are driving from Las Vegas to Disneyland in the morning. We intend to leave LV early morning at 8am.

Are there short 1-hr type celebrity home cruises? Am still reading up on these details.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

The harbor cruise in NB is what you are looking for. You get it in the Fun Zone area at scheduled times. You don't have time for everything unless you are just doing quick stops in Laguna and at Fashion Island.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

When you say "visit" do you mean stop take a photo and move on? Because that's what you are doing. When you go to a beach you stay, walk around, and soak up the atmosphere. You don't go from one beach to the other in quick succession. Your plan is totally unrealistic.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

Yes, there are short cruises at the Fun Zone down the street from Balboa Pier in Newport Beach.. At least there were years ago and I assume that hasn't changed. I think the one we did was around 45 min. to an hour and getting on was really quick Tyoically the boat will not be very big or fancy. You go past the houses with boats moored in front of them, however the only one that can be considered a celebrity home would be John Wayne's old home. To the best of my knowledge, the others simply belong to wealthy people. The boat goes through the bay and out towards the inner mouth of the harbor and then back. Instead of Fashion Island, do you mean Balboa Island? You can use the ferry to get there.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 05:46
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

Thanks guys for the input.

I was thinking about doing this :

1) 1-3pm Laguna Beach - Forest Ave and Cliff Dr

2) 3-6pm Newport Beach + Balboa Fun Zone

3) 6-9pm Huntington Beach

Will drop the idea of going to Fashion Island Mall.

Thanks Redlands for your explanation on the cruises.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

That is a lot of driving from morning to night with just a little rest from driving here and there. First the drive from Las Vegas to Anaheim is at least 4 hours and possibly closer to 5 hours. It to me close to 4 hours just to get to my home just a bit west of San Bernardino and I know Anaheim is about an hour's drive from there. So you would need to leave earlier than 8 a.m to make your plan work because you would get to your hotel around 1 p.m. If you pack somthing to eat along the way from LV and don't need to use a restroom you won't need a break, but most people will need a break by the time they get to Baker.

Will you already have the car or are you picking it up in LV for the drive? You could consider flying into Santa Ana airport (aka Orange County Airport, aka John Wayne Airport) on an early flght, which would be quicker and lessen your total time driving. You can pick up a car at the airport and start out for Laguna, go to Newport, then Anaheim hotel for check in and a break, then Huntington Beach. Or go to the hotel after Laguna and then go to Newport, Huntington. Laguna is furthest south so that is why I am saying go there after the airport.

If flying won't work out, do something else that day and do the beaches on another day. Hopefully, you have enough time during your stay in Anaheim to do that. Your plan is good, but not after a very long drive. Alternatively, you could choose one of the closer beaches after a lunch break in Anaheim, perhaps a meal in Downtown Disney first.. Maybe Newport for the Balboa Fun Zone and cruise. That would would be a good change of pace after a long drive.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 16:21
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

There are 2 cruises that leave from the Fun Zone. 1 goes to see the homes and big boats. There are more celebrity homes than John Wayne. The one I remember off hand is Nic Cage, but there are more. The 2nd one goes the other direction and there are more homes, sea lions and some locations of movies and TV shows. Each is about 45 minutes and there is a discount if you do both. This time of year the last cruise of the homes is at 4 and the other cruise is at 3. Do not underestimate the time it will take to park and find where you are going. The cruises are nice but as Red said, these boats are not fancy. www.funzoneboats.com

Also, leaving LV at 8 you will not be able to go to your hotel, check in, drive to LB and be there by 1. If you drive straight from LV to LB you could probably be there about 1. I would focus on NB first and do what I want to do there because there are time constraints and then move on.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 17:13
9. Re: 3 Beaches in One Afternoon and Evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:16