We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm water

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calm water

I grew up here, and have always had my standard favorite beaches...but now that I have kids, I'm looking for something a little different. I don't want rides, or boardwalks, just a daytrip to a beach where my kids can go in the water without worrying about riptides (short of driving all the way to Wildwood). I'm willing to go as far as LBI..any suggestions? In Wildwood, you can really go out pretty far before the water gets deep, and the waves are usually pretty calm. This is not the case at my favorite beaches. But Wildwood is just not a daytrip from North Jersey.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calm water

Avon by the Sea, the Washington Ave. beach (near the bridge crossing over the Shark River inlet into Belmar). There is a jetty in the shape of an L that protects this beach and creates somewhat of a cove. Usually very calm (except if there is a storm brewing in the Atlantic). At low tide, the kids love spending time around the jetty collecting starfish, hermit/sand crabs. Don't forget to bring buckets. Bathrooms are close by, swing set/play area on the beach one block down. Restaurant/snack pravillion 6 block walk down the boardwalk. Very family like, lots of kids at this beach.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Calm water

Thanks...we usually go to Avon, but never by the jetty...interestingly enough, I never even knew about that great spot. We usually hang out on the beach by the Pavillion, and the water is a bit rough. Thanks, we look forward to seeing an old favorite in a new light!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calm water

I think the key point is to look at the tide schedules and do to the beach at low tide...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calm water

I just want to add that the Jersey shore life gaurds are the best. I have had to be rescued a few times becuase of rip tides and surfing in a storm It was oen of those days where they didn't let people swim only experienced surfers. They knew me but I really tried their patience. I have surfed all along the shore.

Your kids will be fine no matter where they go.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calm water

nyfoodee, thanks for the plug about Jersey Shore lifeguards...they ARE the best! My son is a guard in Belmar, his father was a guard in Belmar. Both are avid surfers and travel all over to surf. (Rincon PR is the fav spot) My sons' dad was an East Coast Champion of surfing back in the early '70s.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calm water

yes I have surfed all over the world and it may sound weird to people who haven't been but the Jersey shore is my favorite. The life guards are the best!

Plus shore towns have a charm that other beach towns do not have. Not in California and I have been to all of the famous spots. Not in Hawaii, unless you are Laird Hamilton and can surf at Jaws.

The shore is the best. I have been going to the shore for years and many New Yorkers used to make fun of me. Unfortunately many New Yorkers have now discovered the shore.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calm water

NewYorkfoodee..SHHHH.....maybe we should not let the secret out!

8. Re: Calm water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 03:18