We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

Waltham...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

Hello!

I'm visiting the Berkshires next weekend, staying in North Adams...and I'd like to bring my dogs out for a hike - preferably somewhere they can be off leash and swim a bit.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
North Adams
North Adams
Berkshires, MA
conn
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

local dog park might be your only bet.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

At the peak of Mt Greylock last fall most of the dogs were on leash but once you start hiking most of the dogs that were on the trail going up/down were off leash and no one said anything. It was very refreshing. My dog is taller so we have a hiking vest with a handle on the back, just in case you come across weirdos that don't like dogs.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Greylock
Mount Greylock
229 Reviews
Adams, MA
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

I'm not positive, but you can probably legally have your dog off leash on the Appalachian Trail once you get to National Forest lands in southern VT. You can reach it with a short drive, but I don't know about parking:

https://goo.gl/maps/ynD7T

A longer drive will get you to the AT along VT rte 9 a bit east of Bennington, where there's good parking.

As post #2 notes, once you're into the woods you can probably let a well-behaved dog off leash as a practical matter even if it's not legal.

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
421 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

Most hiking trails in the area require a dog to be on leash; however, some areas of the AT may be a choice.

Rules for dogs on the AT are here:

appalachiantrail.org/hiking/…hiking-with-dogs

5. Re: Where can I hike with my dogs offleash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2016, 05:18