We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

We are 3 couples planning on driving thru Southwest Ireland in mid September. Our question centers around the type of car to rent. We would really like to do the loops of Beara and Dingle Pennisulas instead of the touristy ROK. But the roads are not so good we understand. Are we better off with a 7 seater smaller car like a Ford Galaxy and can we rent a 9 seater van like VW Caravelle. The Galaxy is automatic and the VW is manuel. None of us have ever driven on the left before. Thanks for your thoughts

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

Six adults and luggage are going to be a bit crowded in a 7 seat car. I don't think it would make a great deal of difference anyway. The roads are narrow and winding, but 40-odd seater buses make their way round, also delivery lorries, tractors (!) and the like. You have to take your time anyway, and the advantage of the VW would be more space and I think you would be higher off the ground, always an advantage when driving.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

For myself, I'd choose an automatic over a manual. It is one less thing to think about. If you do choose a manual you will be changing gears a lot on the drives. Not being in practice, I have trouble down shifting and finding the right gear. The patterns will be the same but you will be shifting with your left hand. The clutch, brake, and accelerator will all be what you are used to. The automatic will cost you a lot more. Those are some great drives to look forward to. I found that the speed limits are on all but the main motorways mean very little. You need to drive as conditions permit. No hurry, no worries.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

I travelled the Beara Peninsula last week. I don't thing that a Galaxy or Caravelle will make much difference driving-wise. The roads are straight and wide in some locations e.g. parts of the R572 between Glengarriff and Castletownbere but are quite narrow and winding in places such as the R575 around Allihies at the western end of the Peninsula.

4. Re: To choose 9seater van or 7seater to negotiate Beara Pen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 07:24