We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

Hello, we are 2 couples front the USA on our first Ireland 11 day road trip beginning in Dublin on Aug 31. We are not on a must see everything trip. We want to enjoy the culture,landscapes and people. We have most of our reservations and our day trips are flexible.After the last night in Galway one couple returns to Dublin and the other lucky couple,my wife and I,get 4 more nights on our own.Here is our basic itinerary,2 nights in Dublin pickup our car and drive to Kenmare for 3 nights.Our next planned stop is for 3 nights in Galway. We would like to spend 1 night in a small coastal town/village at a bnb or hotel/pub with music. So far I've found availability in Dingle and Doolin. Both sound great. Does anyone have another town we should look at or opinions on Dingle and Doolin. Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

I'd settle for Dingle over Doolin. There are so many others, its impossible to list them, but either of those two locations tick the box you want to tick! Doolin is more a village, Dingle is a large town, I prefer the scenery in the Dingle area.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

Dingle is a small town, but with lots to do, a couple of dozen pubs, a marina, shop, and a distillery.

There is not much in doolin.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

There are a lot of nice coastal towns that could fit along your route. 3 that are on my nice to visit but I wouldn't stay the night are Kinsale, Dingle and Doolin. In fact Doolin isn't even nice to visit at the moment with the amount of tourist traffic, I would imagine the other two are the same? For Clare I would say Lahich possibly Liscannor, Kinvara always gets my vote but perhaps too close to Galway. If you want to stay on the Dingle peninsula but avoid the main town itself I like Castlegregory at the east on Tralee bay.

Athenry, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

Definitely Doolin over Dingle if you want quiet and locals. During the day, take the Cliff Walk for beautiful scenery and escape the tourists. At night you have your choice of pubs with music.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

both Doolin and Dingle are fun, to me anyway, but if I could only do one of them it would be Dingle.....

ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
6. Re: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night

Thanks for the advice and info. We decided on Doolin.

Reply to: Dingle,Doolin,or other small coastal town for 1 night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted