We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription drugs

We will be in Bucerias for six months this winter for first time. Can we get our Canadian prescriptions filled by seeing a local GP? We want to find a doctor who will become our family doctor and don't want to have to fill 6 ,o that of prescriptions here to bring with us

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription drugs

You need a prescription from a Mexican doctor, your CDN one won't work. Drugs are a little different sometimes, so depending what you take, you will have to be sure its the same. We go for six months also, and I just bring the 6 month of meds supply with me.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription drugs

Good advice to bring your prescription meds. from home. I do that, too, because one that I take is not available in Mexico and another is only available in the Brand Name form (and costs a lot more than the generic pills I bring from the States).

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription drugs

Thank you that's what we will do then, bring 6 months with us

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription drugs

Depends on what meds you are taking. We live here year round and are able to find all of the meds we took in Canada. Most are considerably cheaper than when we purchased them in Canada. If you would like to send a message letting me know what type of pills you take, I can find out if they are available here. Most of the meds we take, we can just go to the farmacia and purchase without having to go to the doctor every time. However, the first time getting meds here, you will need to know the name here so you should go to Doc Mauro Malja Santoya. He will give you the names in Spanish.

The medical care down here is excellent!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription drugs

I guess it depends too if you still have extended health care in Canada, or senior coverage. Our Meds are still 80% covered so it wouldn't make sense to get them in Mexico.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription drugs

In the past, I've used Google to translate prescription drug names into Spanish. (A doctor should be able to recommend substitutes when necessary, though.)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription drugs

I would just take the pill bottle into the pharmacy and they will give you what you need.

Most pharmacists understand English and very few things require a prescription in Mexico.

Your biggest problem may be your health coverage as it seems you must have pre existing conditions

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription drugs

Things are changing in Mexico in terms prescriptions and a requirement from a doctor. Used to be lenient but not so much now. Two years ago I got a nasty bladder infection and bad cough. I needed to see a doctor to get the meds. A pain. Now I travel with a small supply of meds from home for common ailments. I have a very old supply of Cipro which I have never had to use, but my doc won't renew it saying it is a dangerous drug and you may be able to get it in Mexico sans prescription. Last year in Bucerias I was having trouble sleeping so went in search of Zoplicone..it was outrageously expensive. $1000 pesos for a dozen!! (I used tequila instead -lol)

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription drugs

There is an active market in generic and similar drugs. Often a doctors office will adjoin a small pharmacy where they provide an office call and write prescriptions on site. I prefer going to a big independent pharmacy

that carry real recognized. manufacturers.The generics have t0 be the same formula- not just similar.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 04:44
Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription drugs

As a pharmacist in Texas I would be very hesitant to take any medications, especially those you depend on chronically - blood pressure, diabetic, blood thinners, etc - purchased in Mexico. These have not gone through the FDA or Canadian version of FDA approval and you will likely not have the the same consistent control of your medical conditions. Many US insurances provide a "vacation override" supply. You can call the number in the back of your card to find out and your pharmacy will need to contact your insurance to apply it.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
More Bucerias Topics