We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Hi

Traveling to NZ in April this year.

We are landing in Christchurch & staying a night there. Next morning - heading to mount cook visiting lake Tekapo on way. Spending 2 nights at the hermitage hotel

Plan to do the Hooker Valley Walk. Still confused about the Glacier Explorer tour (not sure it's worth it) & the Star Gazing tour (read it's not so good here - although don't know where else to do it)

Next morning we plan to leave post breakfast & head to Queenstown - spending few hours at Wanaka.

Does all this sound good? Is it too much time at Mount Cook? Should we consider 1 night at Tekapo & 1 at Mount Cook - it's a bit of a hassle that ways though?

Also we are using a private car to drop us from Christchurch & then again pick us for Queenstown

So the free day we have in mount cook - we don't have a car - is that ok?

Quite skeptical about the stay at the hermitage - have read such negative reviews - really wondering if it's worth it?

Lastly, any inputs which room category to chose - standard, superior or premium - hoping for something simple but clean & hopefully refurbished.

Looking forward to your valuable inputs.. Thank you !

11 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

I don't think you can go wrong with your plan. There are nice walks that you can do and the star gazing will be just as good at Mt Cook as at Tekapo. You only need a tour if you want information about what you are looking at, otherwise just look upwards! If you get fine weather you might want to consider a scenic flight which would be totally worth it.

No idea about The Hermitage but you don't have a lot of choice with accommodation at Mt Cook.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

We spent two nights at Mt. Cook. It was a lovely drive over so we took our time with lots of pictures. Got there in time for dinner and bed time.

The Hooker Valley Track was one of our favorites in all of New Zealand! If it's good weather, take a stop at the end for a picnic and extend the day a little. You don't need a car if you are staying at the Hermitage -- but it will mean that walking the track will take longer (as you will have to walk an extra hour down the road (not very scenic) instead of taking a very short drive to the real track head.

I thought the Star Gazing tour was too highly priced for what it was -- but I was tired and sore from hiking and not that interested in astronomy (there's a lot of looking through telescopes which my husband loved).

California
Level Contributor
10,706 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

We stayed at the Aoraki Court Motel and it was very nice. In addition to the Hooker Valley Track, Kea Point was well worth the walk.

I wasn't keen on the 2 tracks at Tasman Glacier, and there were few icebergs in the lake. We didn't book the boat tour, and have no regrets. Nor did we do the star-gazing tour.

Have you found and priced out the private drivers? I would think it would cost way too much for my budget!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Just a thought - what date in April will you be at Mt Cook?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,339 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

It sounds incredibly expensive to have a private car turn round & go back to Chch on Day 2, only to come back for you on day 4!! What is wrong with the Great Sights coach?

I don't believe you can have too many days at Mt Cook! I love the Tasman Lake walk! When I was there last (in December) there were loads of icebergs, esp at the river outlet. Possibly by the end of summer there aren't so many. You can decide when you get there whether to do the glacier explorers tour or the Hooker Vallyer walk. There are also Kea Point, Red Tarns & Sealey Tarns - all 2-3 hr & lovely on a fine day.

If your requirements for accommodation are "simple but clean" then why are you looking at a 4 star hotel? Much better to consider Aoraki Court Motel.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Hello djlovestravel

How was your staying in Mount Cook / Hermitage Hotel last year?

I’m planning my NZ holiday right know and not sure about booking one - or maybe two nights

in Mount Cook

I was also thinking to try the Mueller Hut hike - if doable from Hermitage Hotel

Thank you,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,339 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

jilo, this post is nearly a year old & the OP never returned to comment on our suggestions so I imagine he has stopped watching this forum. You could try sending him a PM, but your best bet is to start your own thread.

How much serious mountain climbing have you done? What time of year are you coming & do you have ice & snow experience. Mueller Hut is quite doable if the weather conditions are perfect AND you can get a booking.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Hello and thank you Zhuhai2007,

We will be there mid April, booking done; last minute we decided to add an extra day/night to our tour

and our agent suggested Mt Cook.

We never done mountain hiking (except for few touristy trails while in Bhutan); but we hike pretty often and

Mueller Hut seems to be absolutely spectacular. Thought we can give it a try if weather will be good.

Keep trying to find out how long it is ?

Someone here was saying it takes 4 hours one way - and that would be a very long hike 🤔

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,339 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Yes, 4hr would be a minimum time in good weather. Normally you would stay the night and return next day. There are several thousand steps from the Kea Point track turn-off to Sealey Tarns (2hr) and then a poled route only. In April your decision would be determined by the weather & snow conditions. Last time I attempted this (in December) there was too much very icy snow and I didn't have crampons or an ice axe.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?

Thank you Zhuhai2007,

Will see how it goes, I’ll come back with a review here

Wishing you good times,

Reply to: Mount Cook - 2 nights ok ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted