We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

south windsor, CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Are there grocery stores or restaurants on the Coromandel peninsula that will be open on Christmas day? Staying in Hahei. Where should we go?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

I'm nor sure for certain but I think you'll only find one or two dairies open on Christmas Day and they'll be in Whitianga. There is a New World supermarket in Whitianga too, but I don't think it will be open. There won't be anything open in Hahei, it's avery small settlement.

http://www.newworld.co.nz/whitianga

There will be some restaurants open on Christmas Day, again in Whitianga, but you should book well in advance if you decide on this.

south windsor, CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Thank you for the advice. We'll grocery shop the day before!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Although the peninsula looks small, you should be aware that driving around isn't too good an idea after dark. Most roads out of towns won't be lit. Also going form one side to the other (eg Coromandel town to Whitianga) shouldn't be attempted after dark.

Supermarkets wil be closed on Christmas Day. there may be one or two petrol stations open but perhaps limited hours. My suggestion is to stock up on Christmas eve (petrol included). Biggest supermarket in the peninsula is in Thames (Pak N Sav). Stock up when you drive pass on your way to Hahei.

Restaurants on Christmas day.

Your accommodation provider or the local visitor info centre may be aware of what's available on christmas day. Some of the information is probably not available on the web.

This is what I found via search. I posted it in another thread.

Option 1 is probably not a good idea if you are staying in Hahei.

1. Koru at Rapaura

Menumania listing says they are open on public holidays

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/koru-at-rapaura-…

http://www.rapaura.com/koru.html

Hours here lists it as closing at 4pm

www.eatat.co.nz/coromandel/index.php…

2. Salt restaurant in Whitianga

www.whitiangahotel.co.nz/salt-restaurant.html

3. Tairua Landing Restaurant & Cafe

Read the comments before you go. They aren't too complimentary

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/tairua-landing-r…

www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=8144

I think you should also inquire at the following

* Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui http://www.pukapark.co.nz/

(can't see what' in the site - it may have the info)

It may be nice to drive to Hahei or visit Cathedral cove for a picnic lunch or for a soak in Hot water beach.

Not for Christmas day but worth a visit:

Colenso Cafe. if you happen to drive in the direction of Hahei/Tairua/Whitianga from Thames, Colenso cafe is usually a nice cafe to visit. I've always enjoyed my visits there. It is enough for me just to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea/coffee and a piece of cake there. I don't think I've been there for a meal yet.

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/colenso-country-…

Here's a youtube vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0l_Rehp5hc

Cathedral cove macadamias

I've not visited but have tasted their stuff and it is yummy cathedralcovemacadamias.co.nz/index.php/page…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
220 reviews
4. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

I'm just back from a few days in this area. . There is one cafe and a place to buy an icecream in Hei Hei. We had a very nice meal at Hot Water Beach and I notice a couple of other places around. One of it's attractions is that it is quite undevelloped. It is not wall to wall cafe's etc. Whitianga would have the biggest range, but even that is probably limited to under a dozen establisment.

The roads are narrow and windy and unlit. However they are sealed and most cars have headlights so I wouldn't worry too much about driving at night. Just take your time.

south windsor, CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Thank you so much for your help!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Btw my guess is you are likely to be driving to the Coromandel from Auckland or perhaps somewhere south. Anyway if you turn off State Highway 1 onto State Highway 2 on your way to Thames, please please please be careful of that road along SH2. There are quite a few fatal road accidents along SH2 between the turnoff at Thames. Hard to explain where the particular bad stretch is but there's one or two bad ones.

If you happen to travel during one of the peak travel periods the traffic will be slow. please be patient. Don't overtake unless you are very very sure it is safe.

Basically this isn't only Christmas & NY break but it is also NZ's summer break. Schools finished this week and won't be back till end of Jan/first week of Feb. Some businesses shut down or work on skeleton staff till around mid Jan.

So people head for their favourite holiday spots. Coromandel peninsula especially in areas like Hahei, Pauanui, have their summer population influx. My guess is people heading for the beach for christmas will travel around 23 & 24th. People then head for their holidays on 26th. Traffic is definitely expected to be very heavy on 26th.

Then there's movement from around 26th onwards for the popular NY eve hotspots. beaches again - whangamata is one of them.

Here's an example of some of the efforts to mitigate travel delays

…govt.nz/about/media/releases/1008/news.html

Have fun on your holiday!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

Sorry this wasn't to put a damper to your holiday plans. Just wanted to be sure you are aware. Also scroll through this search to see I am not kidding

http://www.google.com/search?q=SH2+accident+mangatawhiri

(the particularly bad patch is around Mangatawhiri)

Less tolerance on speeding over this holiday period:

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

drive safely and have fun on your break!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

In light traffic these roads require concentration and care. In peak season they need extra doses of patience! Over 1/2 the population of NZ live within a 2 hour drive of this area. While not all these people go to the Coromandle at Christmas, it can feel like they do! Once you have been there you will understand why!

9. Re: Christmas day restaurants Coromandel open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 05:16