We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Dubai
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Hi,

I wish to visit Coromandel from Auckland for one day during my NZ trip .I dont intend to drive to Coromandel .I would like to take Ferry or bus to Coromandel but am unclear on many things.Any suggestions which ferry companies exist .Where will the ferry drop me in coromandel .I would like to visit cathedral cove and hot water beach and probably Haie beach .I would like suggestions on where shall I base myself for one night to explore these destinations easily.Appreciate your suggestions.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
1. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

You really do need a car. No ferry's sorry. The Coramandel is a big area to try and cover with just a one night stop over.

If you do not drive, maybe the best thing would be to look up tour companies that do trips to the Coromandel.

Hope some one else can help you

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Hi Dino,

If you are searching for a one day tour of Coromandel, then the ferry trip from downtown Auckland to Coromandel township - with short bus tour upon arrival to Coromandel itself and beyond might appeal. 360 Discovery operate return ferry cruises - www.360Discovery.co.nz. It should be possible to catch the ferry one day and return the following day, if the timetable fits with your program.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

This is a great ferry trip, but you would only be visiting Coromandel township, not Coromandel Peninsular.

There is a big difference.

And you would need a car and a couple of days at least to visit Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove and Hahei

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

The ferry does not run on Mondays & Wednesdays and as mentioned above only visits Coromandel Township which is on the west side of the peninsula. Hahei, Whitianga and Hot Water Beach are on the east side. You can catch a shuttle but they don't run very often and you wouldn't be able to do it in a day. The Coromandel is an isolated area with only a few very winding roads around the coast line with a couple that cross the range than runs down it's centre. You should really catch a bus from Auckland to Whitianga(base yourself there, it's where all the tours leave from) and stay at least two nights.

Edited: 11 July 2010, 05:07
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
220 reviews
5. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

The Coromandle Peninsular is a very compact and beautiful area. The distances are not great but the roads are about as narrow and twisty as they get in NZ. They are also quite busy so you need to allow plenty of time to go anywhere. However, it is all worth it. If you are into nature at it's best, there are "more bangs for your buck" in this area than almost anywhere else. It would be a shame to gloss over it. Coromandle town is nice and chalming enough, the true beauty is out a bit.

As well as the spots mentioned by calicolodge you should take in the driving creek railroad and do a trip on the glass bottom boat out of Whitianga.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Driving Creek Railway in Coromandel township is probably one of my top attractions in New Zealand.

Many of our returning guests go there again, some for the third or fourth time.

Do hope that you can fit it into your schedule.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
7. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Sorry gu'y, I didn't Know about the ferry.

I have been many times to the Coromandel, but always by car.

It is a beatuful area and I agree, one night is not enough to see it all.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

No worries Gaye, it's probably an activity that unless you've experienced the trip, or happen to have close access to the service, it is as yet a lesser known adventure - although a fantastic day out nevertheless. 360Discovery is now part of the Fullers enterprise, which gives it more publicity/marketing emphasis.

Driving Creek Railway is on the 360Discovery ferry-land tour adventure trail making this area of Coromandel range an attractive prospect. I love the western side of the range due to its rich history associated with gold-mining and kauri timber. Not to mention fresh seafood and fish.

Since Dino has expressed a preference not to drive, I think this ferry cruise is a good option to see a part of Coromandel during a one day visit. I agree that whilst the tour doesnt take in Hahei, and Hot Water Beach IMO you would require at least 2 days to visit the eastern side of the range to enjoy the associated activities following the drive to reach Whitianga area. Ferry was mentioned along with bus/coach tour, hence I identified this particular cruise as a possibility.

Dubai
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

Thank you all for the much detailed responses and wonderful ideas.

It seems I have ferry as an option open now.However,unfortunately I only have one day spare in which I wanted to squeeze in Coromandel as after that I am off to Rotorua ,taupo and then to the south.Now,the general consensus seems that one day is too less for Cormandel.As I cannot have more than one day are there any other nearby attractive islands,beaches from Auckland which can be well seen in a day trip.I really wish to explore some of new zeland north island pretty beaches atleast before I move on futher.Any suggestions?.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Confused - Auckland to Cormandel by Ferry or bus?

If you can get a bus over to Coromandel then do it!! Stay in Whitianga the night - if you stay at a back packers then you will have more chance of meeting others who want to see the sights or joining an organised tour. I know that my sister-in-law who works at a back packers there takes guests to Hot Water Beach. Before you exclude this option maybe do a few checks on what is actually available to someone without transport. It is a beautiful part of the country :) Don't feel pressured to see all the sights, you can see a lot in one day.