We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best road Tairua to Coromandel

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
best road Tairua to Coromandel

Hi we'll be driving from Tairua to Coromandel - Google maps says the fastest trip is via 309 Rd and New Zealand State Highway 25/State Highway 25. Some friends have told us that the 309 has gravel on parts of the road and quite a difficult drive. My problem is that I can't see any other way to get from A to B. Google says its about 57klm. Any ideas?

Cheers

Maree

6 replies to this topic
Auckland
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

Friends are right so forget the 309 road. I drove it once in a manual car and it was a challenge. Some rental companies won't allow you to drive on a gravel road so if you are renting a car that rules that out.

Drive via Whitianga/Kuaotunu/Matarangi and you will have no problems apart from which gorgeous beach to stop at or where to have lunch!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

I also recommend remaining on SH25 which is sealed and scenic. Another road to avoid is the Coroglen to Tapu road, which is as bad if not worse than the 309. Both of these unsealed roads go over the ranges, making them difficult to navigate and having to negotiate sharp corners and an uneven camber.

If you want to see the Waiau waterfall and the Kunikuni pigs from Coromandel Town, the 309 is sealed as far as the Waterworks which is about 7 - 8 kms inland from the SH25 turnoff on the western side.

California
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

You will also probably share the narrow, unsealed, 309 road with logging trucks going the opposite direction.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

Thanks very much. I was a little worried about a gravel road in a rental.

Cheers

Maree

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

Not something I would enjoy - big trucks in a small car. Google is a fantastic tool but does have its limitations. Thanks for responding.

Cheers

Maree

Coromandel, New...
Level Contributor
723 posts
210 reviews
6. Re: best road Tairua to Coromandel

There's another road further north of the 309 that is 45 mins and all tarsealed. It's state Highway25. It's not hard to find there are signs.

Reply to: best road Tairua to Coromandel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted