We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel - to rent a car or not

Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coromandel - to rent a car or not

Kia Ora,

I am Lois; arrived in Auckland on Dec 9 and explored for a few days then rented a car and traveled in the Northland for a week before an arranged house/Pet sitting. During the time I stayed at and cared for their home and pets, I was permitted to drive their vehicle (wonderful!). Initially, plans were for me to be there through the 12th while they were on vacation; however, 2 days ago I learned they will return on Wed the 10th, which really isn't a problem. My issue is that I scheduled rental of a Toyota Rav4 Jan 14 thru Feb 14 (when I depart and return to Alabama) but now have an additional 3-4 days. I thought I would explore the Coromandel Peninsula. [I communicated with a person at Cathedral Kayaks and they are having SUNRISE sessions!!]

So, I am trying to figure out if I should add another $120.00 car rental and Drive to Coromandel, or Ferry, Shuttle, and Walk? I intend to participate in the kayaking, go to Hot Water Beach, Do the Coastal walk, the railroad, etc.

Please forgive my abundant back story (parents always said that I took too long to tell a story!)

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Northland Region
Northland Region
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Waikato Region, New Zealand
5 replies to this topic
Lyon, France
Level Contributor
1 post
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel - to rent a car or not

Hi Lois! I've done a bit of research since I'll be in the Coromandel area from Jan the 11th to the 14th, with no car. You can come from Auckland with the ferry (60$), and either stay in Coromandel town or link Coromandel town to Whitianga by bus (like Intercity). Without a car, you'll need to use tours to reach the coastal walkway (but those are quite expensive, 130$/day with Coromandel adventure). For Cathedral cove, you can use the ferry+bus to go there, and it is relatively cheap. Hope this helps! and if you end up extending your car rental, and you're looking for travelmates to split expenses, I'll be more than happy to share a ride to the coastal walkway ;)

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Auckland
Auckland
Whitianga
Whitianga
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel - to rent a car or not

I feel sure it will be cheaper for you just to rent an extra few days on the car this way it will give you the flexibility to drive to Hot Water Beach at low tide also Cathedral Cove. Do the driving Creek railway in Coromandel etc.

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coromandel - to rent a car or not

Thanks for the feedback and information! I was not aware of the additional costs. It sounds like the car will be the best plan and offer greater flexibility! Hooray! I wish I had posted sooner.

**Pauline, it would be great to have a travel mate.

Coromandel, New...
Level Contributor
708 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coromandel - to rent a car or not

You definitely need a car here!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,038 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coromandel - to rent a car or not

This is an old post, with your trip well over now. But it would be great to get feedback to let us know how you got on, L G L.?

Reply to: Coromandel - to rent a car or not
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted