We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel

Wellington, NZ
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Coromandel

Hello. I am originally from Scotland but living in NZ for the last 10 years and the only part I have not travelled is The Coromandel.

I would just like some advise please. It will be myself and my 3 year old daughter travelling (nearly 4)

So far the plan I have is;

DAY 1

Auckland to The Waterworks

The Waterworks to Driving Creek Railway

Driving Creek Railway to New Chums Beach then stay in Whitianga (near the Ferry Port)

DAY 2

This is what I am not sure of....do we drive round to Cooks Beach, Hahei, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach and do this ourselves? Or do we get the ferry across? What are the easiest ways to see all these points? What are the things we should do on this part of the trip? Kayaking etc?

We can only stay 2 nights in the Coromandel (3 days) and then we are heading to stay with friends in Tauranga.

If anyone can offer any advise we would be really grateful - thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
The Waterworks
The Waterworks
495 Reviews
Coromandel, New Zealand
New Chums Beach
New Chums Beach
108 Reviews
Whangapoua, New Zealand
Whitianga
Whitianga
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Hot Water Beach
Hot Water Beach
1,253 Reviews
Hot Water Beach, New Zealand
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
2 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,463 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel

If you are driving yourselves, continue to drive around to Hahei with side trips to HW beach and Cathedral Cove. Hahei has a lovely resort with camping areas, cabins, studios and beachfront villas.

Day 1 looks busy. I suggest that you stay in Coromandel town for the first night after visiting Waterworks then Driving Creek. It's a neat old town with good accommodation and places to grab a meal.

If you dont have time for kayaking on day 2 , save this activity for Tauranga.

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Waikato Region, New Zealand
The Waterworks
The Waterworks
495 Reviews
Coromandel, New Zealand
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Coromandel, New...
Level Contributor
708 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel

If you stay in Coromandel town there's a long driveway to the left of the police station... go to the end of it and you'll find Pats Place. Pat is a local who has basic accommodation or a separate room cheaper than you'll find anywhere in Coro. She's a real local character and if you're lucky you might get some snapper or mussels given to you to cook up.

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reply to: Coromandel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted