We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist tax

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist tax

Hi does anyone know how much the tax is at the Verrega in Perissa?

10 replies to this topic
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,938 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist tax

I found this from a post on the main Greece forum from November 2017

Just had this from the company we've booked our 2018 holiday with:

Please note:

From the 1st January 2018 a new Overnight Stay Tax will be introduced by the Government of Greece. This will be payable locally by the individual tourist on checking in to accommodation in Greece and varies according to the official rating of the accommodation as follows:

Apartments (all categories): 0.50 Euros per room per night

Hotels:

1-2 star: 0.50 Cents per room per night

3 star: 1.50 Euros per room per night

4 star: 3.00 Euros per room per night

5 star: 4.00 Euros per room per night

No idea what rating the Veggera has but I’d guess it’s 2 or 3 star.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist tax

Thankyou. I have just returned from Menorca where they charged per person per room per night! €91 for 7 days 😩

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist tax

I would say that it is 3 star or even 4 star in Greek standard

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist tax

We stayed in a 4* hotel in Naxos last month and paid 42 euros for 14 nights @ 3 euros per room. The hotel’s preferred payment was in cash, and we did get a receipt, but they would also have been happy with payment by card. The charges seem to vary between countries and Spain/Menorca would appear to be charging per person and not per room, which is going to be expensive for families. I don’t believe Portugal has implemented the “tax” yet.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist tax

Taken from Veggera's own site

"Veggera Hotel belongs to the 4 star category of Santorini hotels and operate from April 20 to November 10."

https:/…

So according to BigSnitch's table, that makes it 3E per room per night.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,938 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist tax

I don't know how this tax is collected - I stayed at the Zorzis in Perissa in June and I didn't have to pay any extra money over the cost of the room that the owner and I agreed on in 2017 when I booked it.

Whether or not this tax had been factored into that price I've no idea and to be honest, it never crossed my mind to ask, nor did Spiros, the owner mention it.

As with most things in Greece, I'm sure the hotel will initially ask you to pay any extra money in cash although they are now legally obliged to take card payments, even if they do try to fob you off with a million reasons why they can't - the card machine isn't working or they've lost it and had to send to Athens for a new one (that's a favourite one), the internet is broken, it's the wrong time of day, wrong day of the week etc etc etc...…..

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist tax

>>I don't know how this tax is collected - I stayed at the Zorzis in Perissa in June and I didn't have to pay any extra money over the cost of the room that the owner and I agreed on in 2017 when I booked it. <<

Some owners do indeed pay the new tax from their own pocket for returning visitors. See it as a gesture from them.

And that they are trying to use card payments as less as possible is the least of my concerns. I probably would do the same.

Edited: 08 July 2018, 10:33
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist tax

the new tax isnot for all type acomodation. Anyway for to pay that tax must to receive a separate receipt and to sign it.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist tax

We have just stayed at The Gardenia Hotel through Thomas cook so paid the hotel direct. As a 2 starb it was 1.50 per room per night and got a signed official receipt from them. Holiday was cheaper than doing all direct so was expecting it. Thomas cook had told us about this. Not a problem

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist tax

We paid 50cents per night at Phevos Villa. Don't recall seeing a receipt though.

Reply to: Tourist tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations