We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

south east england
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

I have seen a guided half day trip (4 hours) that offers shorter walks including info about flora, fauna, history, geography etc PLUS info on Lord of the Rings sights we haven't really got time to do a full day hike and not sure my teenagers would want to but half day sounds great. Would we get to see the stunning blue lake if we only spend half a day there? How far do you have to trek to see this and how hard going is it? How about Mount Doom which I know is probably not the real name but we would LOVE to see this even from a distance and would be a major highlight for us LOTR geeks... Its not all about LOTR though and we are really interested in all the other stuff. Could we do this by ourselves and just do the shorter walks without a guide and see lake/Mount Doom ? Which shorter walks are the best most scenic interesting?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,456 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

Mt Ngaruahoe (aka Mt Doom) is best viewed from the road up Mt Ruapehu or the chairlift up the skifield.

My favourite walk, which you don't need a guide for, is Taranaki Falls. You can pick up maps from the DoC Visitor Centre at Whakapapa.

Mentioned in this post
Mt Ruapehu
Mt Ruapehu
391 Reviews
Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
Taranaki Falls
Taranaki Falls
116 Reviews
Whakapapa
Whakapapa
Auckland
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

From Taupo on a clear day you can see Mt Ruapehu. It was looking good a few weeks ago with some snow still on it.

Viewing is good on the Desert Road (between Turangi at the south end of Lake Taupo and Waiouru) or on the other side near National Park. It's fine to be geeky about it! It's a great looking mountain and rising up in a perfect symmetrical shape you can see why Peter Jackson chose it.

The Blue Lake is pretty much in the middle of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing track so you'd still be walking about the 19 km just to see it. It's a tough walk not just a get out of the car in sports shoes stroll.

You could get the chairlift up Mt Ruapehu to Knoll Ridge for a spectacular view. There is a Skyline ridge walk of about 2 hours which the teenagers might like. On a fine day the views would be awesome. I have not done this but it's on my list.

Mentioned in this post
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Mt Ruapehu
Mt Ruapehu
391 Reviews
Turangi
Turangi
Taupo District, New Zealand
Lake Taupo
Lake Taupo
302 Reviews
North Island, New Zealand
Tongariro National Park
Tongariro National Park
Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

mt doom can be seen from all over tongariro national park as long as it is not too cloudy

as other have suggested the chair lift up to the highest cafe in nz at whakapapa skifield is a good option

for the views but also Whakapapa was the location of a few Mordor scenes including the opening scene in The Fellowship of the Ring where the Isildur cuts Sauron’s finger off. It is also the location where Frodo and Sam catch Gollum and where Gollum leads the Hobbits to Emyn Muil.

And while you are in the Ruapehu area, check out Tawhai Falls. The waterfall and pool below was partly used when Gollum is catching a fish while Faramir and his rangers aim their arrows at him. Tawhai Falls is now commonly known as Gollum’s Pool.

Mentioned in this post
Whakapapa
Whakapapa
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

I second the Taranaki Falks walk. Also a walk from the top Whakapapa carpark. I have no idea when you will be here but the chair lift doesn't open until summer. We missed it by a week last time we were up that way grrrrrr!

Mentioned in this post
Whakapapa
Whakapapa
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

ruapehu alpine lifts have only stopped the lifts for a few weeks after winter this year so yes the two lifts will be running all summer

only reason they may not be going will be weather conditions - high winds or cloud

top of the bruce road at the ski feild area tickets can be purchased then a ride on the rangitiri lift then the waterfall lift will get you upto 2000 metres above sea level at the cafe

also if anyone visits during the winter ski season a scenic chair lift ticket will get you to that same cafe without having to buy a full days sking ticket

tongariro national park is the 4th oldest national park in the world and is duel world heritage listed

south east england
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

I hope all you New Zealanders are ok today sending best wishes to all and hope the earthquake/Tsunami does not cause too much destruction. Thank you so much for these answers fabulous :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

How far is the walk to Taranaki Falls? And how far is Tawhai Falls from Whakapapa? I would like to walk to both place in January 2017. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Taranaki Falls
Taranaki Falls
116 Reviews
Whakapapa
Whakapapa
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,456 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

Use www.doc.govt.nz

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
184 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

Hi,

I wanted to walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, but I probably do not have enough energy to hike for 19.4 km. Can I explore of Tongariro about 10 km ?

Mentioned in this post
Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Tongariro Alpine Crossing
1,764 Reviews
Tongariro National Park
Tongariro National Park
Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand
Auckland
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shorter hikes Tongariro NP including Blue Lakes/Mount Doom

Best start your own thread Fazy.

It's a one way track so for walking 10 km you'd have to do 5 km in and then walk back...

When are you here? If it's the summer then have a look at the walk on the top of Ruapehu for about 10 km which looks amazing.

Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics