We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short walk recommendation

Joburg, South Africa
Level Contributor
274 posts
39 reviews
Short walk recommendation

I plan on taking the Mt Ruapehu chair lift and possibly doing the flight over the area as well. I'm looking for a short-ish walk in the area as well with nice views of Mt Ngauruhoe. I've read people recommending the Taranaki Falls walk, but I'm not clear whether that walk will have good clear vistas of the mountains. Would the Silica Rapids walk be better? Any other suggestions?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Short walk recommendation

Taranaki Falls walk is fantastic and passes through many different landscapes, it has wonderful views of Mt Ngauruhoe & Ruapehu. You can check out the sights on my Flickr album, here's the link-

https:/…

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Short walk recommendation

What stunning photos Zappers! You have a real eye for photography.

I can sense an upcoming trip to the Central Plateau after looking at those pics.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Short walk recommendation

I would recommend Taranaki Falls too (20m drop). There are also some other very short walks off the road up to Whakapapa, such as the Tawhai Falls (13m).

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

The link above will give you some other ideas for the shorter tracks out of Whakapapa.

The one below will give you some ideas for some short walks in or near Whakapapa.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Short walk recommendation

ros_jhb, I agree the Taranaki Falls loop will give you nice views. It is quite interesting how the track passes through bush, then fields / meadows, back to bush, back to meadows, and so on. Be sure to do the loop around the falls and not simply backtrack. As always regarding views, though, you are at the mercy of the weather.

We visited Tongariro on 2 Mar and again on 4 Mar (spent 3 Mar in Taupo). On 2 Mar, Mt Ruapehu was visible all day long (brilliant sunshine, virtually cloudless), while on 4 Mar, the summit was shrouded in clouds most of the day, with pretty much the entire mountain covered at times. That in itself was pretty dramatic, however.

5. Re: Short walk recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics