We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

Hi,

we are planning on doing the one day tongariro crossing. we are provisionally planning on leaving a car at ketahi on the afternoon and getting a shuttle to mangetepopo. Then walking to the mangetapopo hut and staying the night. (we have heard this is really nice to stay at, is this true?) then walking the rest of the trail the following day, getting a really early start ahead of most people.

I am wanting suggestions of where to stay that night. we are travelling southwards towards wellington and don't mind a short drive after finishing if there is somewhere nice to visit. I'm dreaming of some hot springs to relax in afterwards, but doubt we'll get that, but hopefully gives you an idea of what we are after!

any suggestions/changes welcome

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

If you really want hot springs and don't mind a bit of backtracking - Tokaanu is just in from Turangi and has hot springs, open until 9.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
41,162 posts
454 reviews
2. Re: where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

What is your budget? I stayed at a cute farm cottage called Wood Pigeon Lodge at Raurimu.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

I am wondering about the budget too!

If you have the cash for it, try the Chateau Tongariro. It's my favourite place to stay in the Central North Island.

The Chateaubriand ($70+ for two!), at their Ruapehu Restaurant is delicious, the food is good though not particularly adventurous (perhaps due to the isolation); there are great views from the large lobby/sitting area out to Mount Ngauruhoe on a clear day, and I have always been very comfortable there.

You need to have smart casual attire. If they were in a less isolated area, they might demand formal clothing, but as they are in the middle of nowhere, and cater to the more well-heeled trampers who often don't have the space in their packs for jackets and ties, they can't. (Skiers tend to stay in the private lodges closer to the skifield, further up the mountain.)

It's also one of only three accommodation places - aside from the Department of Conservation Huts and campsites, actually within the National Park boundaries. The other two are the Skotel, and the Whakapapa Motor Camp.

I cannot comment on the Mangatepopo Hut specifically, but Great Walks Huts cost up to ten times the amount that "ordinary" huts cost (five dollars!), so I would expect they would make you comfortable there.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
4. Re: where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated!

Will have a look at all those.

Never ceases to amaze me how strangers can be so endearing to help.

5. Re: where to stay? any help/tips please ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics