We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

Is there a grocery store in National Park Village or should we buy food in Turangi for breakfast & lunch the following day?

The reviews seem to be mixed for the few restaurants and the Station Cafe & Bar is closed Tues. evenings. Not sure whether it would be better to try to cook something in our studio with a microwave. The casual cafes at the Chateau didn't sound very inspiring either.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

Your first question is by far the easiest to answer.

Buy at Turangi, particularly if you have a Chilly Bin or some other means to keep your purchases chilled during the drive up to National Park. There IS a grocery store at National Park - a 4 Square in the Petrol Station at the turn-off for Turangi and Whakapapa, but you are likely to find somewhat wider choice, and likely lower prices, at the Turangi supermarket, which is the New World on Ohuanga Road in the town centre. I am pretty sure that is the only one - it is a fairly small town. To find it - turn right off SH1 into Pihanga Road (signposted for the shopping area), and at the roundabout, turn left. The New World is a short distance down Ohuanga Road on the left. Continue down this road once you have finished shopping, as it will lead you down to SH41, then turn right for Whakapapa and National Park.

I really don't know what to recommend for an inexpensive restaurant. I definitely cannot think of a particularly fantastic one. This is partly because this is a thinly populated and somewhat remote area, and the few options that do exist, have a fairly captive audience! The nearest place with a variety of eat-out choices is Taupo.

The only restaurant I would recommend in that area, is the Ruapehu Restaurant at the Chateau Tongariro, but it is not inexpensive. In fact, it is VERY expensive. However, they do a very nice Chateaubriand at dinner that I remember years later, and although it costs $78, it does serve two amply. Think silver service, chandeliers, starched tablecloths, attentive service, and while the menu is perhaps - a little unimaginative in the mains department; I was very satisfied, as were my parents and grandmother. The menu is here: chateau.co.nz/PicsHotel/BayviewChateau/Broch…

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

The Park hotel is OK - quite a pleasant spot, menu isn't as great as the Station but it is cheaper. Cafe 39 up the road at Owhango is really good but day time only. The Owhango pub has had good meals at times, but management and ownership changes frequently so hard to predict quality. If stuck, you could go out to Ohakune.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

Many thanks to you and NZBarry & the explicit directions. We will find one of the grocery stores in Turangi and decide which bar or restaurant to try. Coming from the US we will have limited space but will have a small cooler ( I guess that's a chilly bin!) Only taking casual clothes so won't meet the dress code for the Ruapehu Restaurant at the Chateau Tongariro.

I am amazed so many accommodations have kitchenettes, but it sounds like from descriptions there are only kettles and microwaves to cook with at most places. I assume they provide a few dishes and microwavable cooking containers.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

The Ruapehu Restaurant needs smart casual clothes, but does not - for example - require a jacket and tie. A collared shirt and trousers and leather shoes is enough. You just have to be neat, tidy, and smartly dressed. If they were less isolated, they might be stricter, but they ARE isolated, so it is a bit more relaxed.

The small cooler will do fine.

A "Chilly Bin" - known as an "Esky" in a certain large country to our west, is a larger item that most Kiwis have stashed away somewhere. This link will show you what I'm talking about bunnings.co.nz/our-range/…chilly-bin

How much there is to cook with really does depend on the accommodation; and if unsure, ask them directly, particularly in this case, where there are few options to eat out. Most motels I have stayed at give you a pot and a frying pan, and two hotplates, as well as the electric kettle, microwave, and toaster.

But yes, kitchenettes are common in motels in New Zealand; and most hostels and all motor camps have some kind of kitchen provided too.

If you are in despair, check if New World at Turangi has a "deli".

My local one (larger than Turangi's) has a counter where you can buy little pizzas, cornish pasties, salads, cold cuts, shredded chicken, that sort of thing. But all of those do need to be kept cold.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

if you are near to Ohakune at all, the New World supermarket there is actually better than the one at Turangi IMO, has a better easy meal section.

6. Re: Grocery stores and inexepensive restaurants for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2016, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics