We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

Edit: Chair Lift/ Ski Lift

How long does it take to go to the top and get back?

Does it get busy near Chrtistmas, is booking ahead advised?

Thank you! :-)

Edited: 03 December 2014, 11:13
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

We were planning on taking the chair lift ride last year but missed out because we were in the area a week before it opened.

From memory I think it tells you on their website how long it takes. I doubt it will be very busy before Christmas so I wouldn't see the need to pre-book.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

This may be able to help you :

www.mtruapehu.com/summer/chairlift-rides

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
345 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

You take two chairlifts: the Centennial and Waterfall Express. They are about a 10 minute ride each, with a short walk in between. So allow at least 1.5 hours. More if you want to walk around.

Note the lifts don’t go to the top of the mountain, but just to an elevated altitude where you will get a better view (assuming there is limited cloud).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

Thank you! That's really helpful to know.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
113 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

The website really only gives the basics about the ride! I found out after booking our accommodation in Ohakune that you access the lift over the Whakapapa side - head up Bruce Road. We plan to do the chair lift during our upcoming trip - I initially thought the lift was accessed from the south of the park, but at least we can work around this. BTW you probably noted that the last ride is at 3.30pm.

6. Re: How long does the Mt Ruapehu Chair ride take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics