We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro crossing with baby?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tongariro crossing with baby?

Is like to do the day walk but would have my 7 month old with me. How hard would it be to walk with baby in a carrier? Also what is the weather like in March/April? How cold DOES it get?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

Hi there, personally I would say no but I don't know anything about babies or your hiking abilities. The crossing is a fabulous hike but it is an alpine crossing and the weather is changeable.

Last year I attempted it with a friend and we turned back after a few hours, it was a drizzly day without good visibility and when we got higher the wind chill kicked in and it was freezing.( in January )

This year we did it in February and completed the whole thing and consequently had a pack full of extra layers, socks, gloves etc that we didn't need. When you get to the top of the devils staircase even on a hot day you notice the temperature drop so you do need to be prepared.

Apart from layers of clothing for both, I strongly recommend plenty of water, good boots and a walking pole for the steep up and down parts.

If you feel that all of this is doable, pack on back and baby on front then good luck. No doubt others will offer you advice also.

If you decide not to do this there are some great walks of shorter distance and lower level that you can do in the area.

Check out the met service weather reports for the crossing to see how the temperature varies from the visitor center to the craters, but I assure you it won't be hot in march/April.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

Hi,

Not your best idea IMHO.

The weight shouldn't be a problem but there are some areas where there is loose footing. You could easily roll an ankle and fall. If so make sure you land on your back so the baby cushions your fall.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

greatlaketaupo.com/new-zealand/…

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,953 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

I add to the NO list. Up to the red crater and down the other side is loose shingle. I think it would amount to child abuse putting a baby in a pack for that length of time. Yes it can get very cold in March/april. That is our fall season. It is alpine area so can change to blizzard, winds, snow or scorching hot. In fact you can all in the day trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

Can anyone recommend a shorter/easier walk in the north island that would be appropriate to do with a baby?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

Taranaki Falls, also in TNP, is a lovely short walk - you still get the fabulous alpine terrain, so need to watch your footing but it is a well-formed path & the Falls are lovely.

If you are going to be near Mt Maunganui there is the climb "up The Mount" or "Round the Mount" - both are very picturesque.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

Another vote for Taranaki falls if you are in that area, where else in NI are you travelling to ?

7. Re: Tongariro crossing with baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics