We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do all shuttle company are ok ?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
55 reviews
Do all shuttle company are ok ?

I know there are several shuttle companies for TNP.

I will be there in early March.

I think to leave my car at Ketetahi car park and the shuttle early morning to the starting point.

one way cost 30 or 35$

Any company to avoid or all are serious ?

If I do it on 4 or 5th of March, shuttle will be fully booked if I book the day before ? (or do I need to book one week or one month in advance ?)

8 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

It was my understanding that due to overcrowding at the carparks a new rule was introduced that requires everyone to use a shuttle to get to the beginning of the walk now. This means that demand will be high so if it were me I would book a month in advance but ensure that I could get a refund if ppssible in case my plans changed. Another option is to check whether your accommodation offers a shuttle service.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

I emailed my accommodation and they said they normally book 1-2 days out and have never had problems. Most are willing to do this for you, so that is an option for you.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

thanks for your messages.

Yes my hostel can book also the transfer for me (from hostel to trek and back), but I prefer to park my car at the end of the trek and take a shuttle to the starting point the morning (in order to save time and have my car at the end of the trip).

I found on internet companies so I think I will book few weeks before in order to have a seat guarantee.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,805 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

I think it is a good idea to leave your car at the end of the trek. We left it at the beginning as we wanted to start early. We wasted almost 2 hours waiting for our shuttle. There were other shuttle there that had plenty seats available, b ut we had already booked and paid for ours. This was in mid December last year.

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
5. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

Understanding and being actually involved in what happening up there are two different things. I am unfortunate enough to be involved with how things are working up there.

Surprisingly there are plenty of shuttle operators that can be refered to if full! The trick though is avoiding the big ones if you dont like waiting for a couple of hours for a shuttle and aiming at the small van style operators. I can name a few but guarantee the post will vanish. The prices do vary from $30 to $35 but be unfair to say which to avoid because all pay the DOC to operate and should have a card to prove it.

March tends to quieten down but the restrictions mean if you are parking at the end the Trail (ketetahi) odds are you will be parked on the road side. One way options still popular especially with the Turangi based operators. But once again there is a small operator based in Owhango actually there is two but this one is flexible on times and dont go to the fixed schedules.

Now March will prove very interesting as the Department of Conservation is planning to impose an experiment on the operators and track users that will mean the road be closed to public and operators will be restricted to taking no more than 1250 on the crossing meaning a "pulsing" of 125 people per 30 minutes to the crossing to spread the crowds This will be between 630am and 1130 am during March!

Which is totally nuts and how do I know? I was at the pre season meeting discussing these changes and with luck this will be abandoned but for now its in the plan.

So basically getting to the start before 630am will be the go.

Edited: 10 December 2017, 04:44
Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
6. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

Should add with the changes coming up Book in advance the smaller operators will be the ones holding the advantage when the experiment starts.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

thank you for this important information ))

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
8. Re: Do all shuttle company are ok ?

Amazing it did not get zapped.

Reply to: Do all shuttle company are ok ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics