We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling through in just about a month. We will not be able to do the whole Crossing hike due to time constraints, but would love to do a piece of it or a nearby hike with a lovely view of Mt Tongariro. We would appreciate any recommendations for hikes nearby that don't take more than 5-6 hours or so, and that we could circle back to our own vehicle with, as we won't be there early enough to use a shuttle.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Tongariro National Park
Tongariro National Park
Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand
9 replies to this topic
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Check out …govt.nz/Documents/…walks-around-tnp.pdf

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

My favourite is Taranaki Falls - a very easy & varied round trip of 2-3 hr iirc.

Mentioned in this post
Taranaki Falls
Taranaki Falls
116 Reviews
Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

+1 I was going to suggest Taranaki Falls too. Check out the DOC website provided by post 1 to see a wider list to choose from.

Mentioned in this post
Taranaki Falls
Taranaki Falls
116 Reviews
Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
California
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Is National park city a town with public transportation and/or taxis available able or not?

If not ! without a car and if you only want to do the crossing halfway (is the blue lake more or less halfway?) then backtrack to Mangatepopo where the shuttle drop you off but does not come back there to pick you up.. is there any other alternative than to walk back to National Park City?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

National Park is only a village. The train between Auckland to Wellington passes through National Park village every other day, and daily Intercity bus services. There are shuttles available, if you don't have your own transport. Walking back to National Park village isn't feasible. Arrange for a shuttle to drop you off and collect you from these given locations -

https:/….

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
California
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Thank you for your input but I do not understand the schedule showing pick up in Mangatepopo at 1:30 PM and 3:30 PM . . with drop off in the morning at that same location when That same Shuttle company told me there was no pick up in the afternoon at Mangatepopo, for those who only did the half way crossing and backtracked to Mangatepopo!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Thank you all for the recommendations and brochure link! I appreciate it! The Falls hike looks beautiful.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

Peacefulcalifornia,

You asked this same question on your own thread - and I answered it on 5/11:

<<<<National Park City>> LOL - population 174, more like "dead horse gulch" than a city!

You will need to book accommodation that is accessible from the train. Some lodges provide shuttle services to the start & finish of the TAC. Otherwise you book one that will pick you up from your accommodation.>>

Might I suggest you keep your questions to your own thread so we don't get confused.

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro

My suggestion would be to seek local IMPARTIAL advice from the Visitor Centre / I site at whakapapa village. They can also put you in touch with a Shuttle provider that is in effect a shuttle to custom to your needs and not a schedule operated by most the shuttles.

There are a few walks in the area that can be done in a half day and that the Mangatepopo car park is restricted to 4 hours. Which is monitored from 6am to 2pm.

If you want views and ot got the time! I would suggest the chairlift up on Ruapehu with a walk to Skyline ridge that takes a couple of Hours. Pretty impressive views up there.

Reply to: Half Day Hikes On/Near Mt Tongariro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics