We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the 19 kms very strenuous only for experienced hikers?

California
Level Contributor
288 posts
11 reviews
Is the 19 kms very strenuous only for experienced hikers?

We usually walk on a very hilly terrain where we live at an average speed of about 6 kms per hour for our regular Thursday and Sunday walk of 10 kms

Is the 19 Kms Round trip ? or does it starts at one point and ends at a different one?

In that case how do you come back?

How is the weather in April usually.

Do you need special hiking shoes and/or other equipment to face the obstacles which are......?

Thank you

12 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
288 posts
11 reviews
11. Re: Is the 19 kms very strenuous only for experienced hikers?

Yes April has been my first choice but I have to go to France for family matters (not in plan originally) in January so to avoid two long trips close together , I might postponed it until October (Your Spring) since in addition I will have accumulated more points from my credit card to get a Free Plane trip to NZ.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
57 reviews
12. Re: Is the 19 kms very strenuous only for experienced hikers?

October was pretty wet and cold this year. Is November doable? It should be better weather by then but no guarantees!

Thursday 23 Nov had very high temperatures all over NZ but a few weeks ago it was snowing in the South Island. Put it down to global warming and the fact that we are a long skinny country surrounded by the huge Pacific Ocean.

Reply to: Is the 19 kms very strenuous only for experienced hikers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics