We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

1 post
Save Topic
Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

Hi TA Community.

I am planning a day hike in Tongariro National park, the starting point is from Mangatepopo Car Park to Ketetahi Shelter (end point),we will rent a campervan on our NZ trip. My questions are:

1. Is there enough spare to park the campervan at Mangatepopo car park?

2. How can I travel back from ketatahi Shelter to Mangatepopo after finished the hiking (except walk back :p)?

3. Do i need a guide during that time?

Thanks in advance!! All suggestions are much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2017, 00:35

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

Given TripAdvisor won't let me answer informatively. The answers is no parking as of today at mangatepopo and you need to take a shuttle to the start plus you don't need a guide. Best ask at an I site for info

Tongariro National...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

Hello May T,

There are new parking regulations in place from this season onwards - no all day parking at Mangatepopo (the start of the Crossing) and minimal parking at the finish (20 or so parks) and all visitors are being encouraged to use a shuttle service.

I suggest you book a shuttle which operates at or close to your accommodation. This will cost money but save you a LOT of hassle. There are many companies doing this from the various villages and towns. You may also like to check whether they will only operate when the weather is suitable as there are still many days when it is not. A forecast of 60km winds or more, or a forecast of 50km winds or more plus rain is commonly agreed to be unsuitable to walk the Alpine Crossing. Hope this helps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?

You don't need a guide, but you'll get more out of the trip if you have one. Also, if the weather is bad you won't see anything on the Crossing, and a guide can take you on lovely lower-altitude walks. I can recommend Terry at Tongariro Guided Walks.

Reply to: Do i need a guide for a day hike in Tongariro National park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics