We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Hi

We will be staying at Tongariro Crossing Backpackers around Easter time for 2 nights, arriving from Taupo airport and want to do the full day hike including Ngauruhoe. I was wondering which was the best 'way' to do this, eg. start and finish. We have a car, but again, unsure of parking, etc... as I've seen some warnings too. We'd like to do this early to avoid crowds, any recommendations of times, etc?

10 replies to this topic
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

I've seen this https:/…important-info

Would the best option be the one that says "This service is where you drive to the end of the track in the morning and park your car at the Ketetahi Car Park and we take you one way to the start of the track so you hike back to your car."

Any help appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
8,785 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Yes, that would be the best option. Then your car is waiting and ready for you when you finish. Better than having to wait for a shuttle. Don't leave valuables in sight in the car - even better would to leave valuables at your accommodation.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Thanks, we will be returning to the accommodation so certainly we will leave any valuables at the accommodation. Thank you.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

About 7 am is a good time to start walking. Weather is very changeable right now in NZ so take enough warm clothes and dress in layers. A rain jacket is essential. We've had an unusual amount of heavy rain over this summer.

If you could walk it on 17/18 April it's probably quieter then as most people will have gone back to work.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Hoping for 18th as we arrive into the hostel in the afternoon of 17th and leave on the morning of 19th.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Great! We are all back work on the Tuesday. It is school holidays then but it's not a walk for young kids. Fingers crossed you get a good day weatherwise.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Hope so! Been to NZ before but missed thiss trip.

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

Hey Guys, we know the crossing quite well as we have driven shuttles to and from it for year. Easter weekend can and will be BUSY!!! You start at 7am you will enjoy the great company of everyone else heading to the crossing for that time the majority of Buses start dropping between 7-8am. As for Parking! Well As you are staying over at Erua near National Park Village I would suggest taking a shuttle Bus from the Village. Otherwise the best option would be to be to leave your Car at Mountain Shuttles Car Park and catch that shuttle. Either way if you plan the 15th April it will be BUSY BUSY BUSY!

First Shuttles leave at 630am. I you dont make it by 7am I will say be in for a lot of Stress!!! So catch a return shuttle!

The DoC will be closing the road as soon as the small car parks are full! best guess worst case by 7am! Plus side its the end Daylight savings so starting at 530am from Mangatepopo before the crowds arrive and getting a shuttle back another good idea! But once again hard to know how bust but history show good weather means hell!

One word advice is unless you are really fit dont attempt to start after 9am you will run out of Daylight as well as risk missing the last shuttle back to the car park at 530pm.

The unpredictable bit is as pointed out school Holidays!

So best advice come early as in before 6am or better still use a shuttle!

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

We had a great day, we arrived at The Crossing backpackers on 17/04 to great weather and from what they told us the previous 5 days had been bad weather and no shuttle had gone to the crossing (they said one went on the Saturday but 'shouldn't have done'. We got to the car park at Ketetahi at 5:40pm and got a space, but it got busy, very, very fast.

By just after 6am cars were parking everywhere and the warden was moving people. By time the shuttle bus arrived at 6:20am it was so,so busy. Perhaps that due to the previous poor weather there was a backlog. We were some of the first to start the track just before 7am. The amount of people we saw arriving was huge. We had planned to do 'Mt Doom' but I honestly didn't think it was safe as the amount of people choosing to do this meant it would have been gridlock stuck with people above or below you with no clear track. Instead we carried straight on to do the crossing, stopping and taking many picture on the way and stopped for an hour at the Blue Lake for our packed lunch and with the stop got to our car at just before 3pm. There were cars all down the road it was manic.

This allowed us to do some shorter hikes around the area and also head to the ski lift. We had a beautiful day, my only comment was that the last 2 hrs were a bit boring (I'm sure I'll get slated for saying that)! Just the boardwalks and it just seemed to go on and on . . . I can compare it to some hikes I've done in Iceland.

We only had one day to do it and we were very lucky with the weather. I'd also prepare yourself for the amount of people. It's a very popular trip and sometimes it can make it difficult, particularly around the crater area when there are lots of people.

California
Level Contributor
8,785 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe

>>>my only comment was that the last 2 hrs were a bit boring<<<

You're not the first person to state that.

I'm so glad you had good weather! It is a popular track and I'm sure there were many folks waiting out the weather, so even more traffic on the track than usual.

Reply to: Tongariro Crossing and Ngauruhoe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park
More Tongariro National Park Topics