We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodanthe to Corolla

illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rodanthe to Corolla

We are coming the 3rd week in June for our 2nd trip and staying in Corolla again. We are considering driving first to rodanthe then up to Corolla before we check in - is it worth the extra drive and how long exactly is it? Thanks so much!

Killl Devil Hills
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

I would not try to tackle this on check-in day, but plan to make it a whole day excursion later in your trip. Also, on check-in day, the road up North can be really slow-even with the Sunday arrivals.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Rodanthe is about an hour south after you cross the bridge. I agree with the poster above that you should avoid doing this on check in day. Make it a day during the week. You could head all the way south and take the ferry over to Ocracoke, climb the lighthouse, etc. There's plenty to do down south. Enjoy your trip!

Cheryl

MD
Level Contributor
833 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Have a brother who always asks if anyone wants to head down to Ocracoke (from Duck) each year. We always ask how far it is. He says 3 hours each way (not including the full wait for the ferry). We then ask what exactly there is to do . . . 'it's just a quaint town" is his response. So you want us to drive for 6 or more hours today to see sand, water and a quaint town? Yep - he says. Thanks, but we have that here we say. End of discussion.

When the earlier person posted that there's lots to do, my bs checker is saying there really isn't "lots" of anything other than driving.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Well, that was rude. Perhaps you need to adjust your "BS Checker". Have you ever been south of the bridge? If you haven't, maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. Yes, Ocracoke is "just a quaint town" but there is plenty to stop at and do on your way there. Pea Island, Hatteras Lighthouse and The Canadian Hole just to name a few. The difference between Duck and Hatteras Island is like night and day. Try it once. You may find that you like it.

Cheryl

Edited: 22 March 2010, 18:14
MD
Level Contributor
833 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Cheryl,

You're being too senstive on this. I'm not saying Hatteras isn't pretty or that Ocracoke isn't the best beach on the coast - it may well be, but when I'm surrounded by the same elements and beauty in Corolla, why would I spend all day driving? There's nothing truly unique that I can see that makes it worth my while.

It's a matter of cost/benefit. The cost is spend an entire day driving. The benefit is to see stuff you can pretty much see where you are.

MD
Level Contributor
833 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Cheryl,

Allow me to offer the flipside to the same argument/comment. If someone were staying in Ocracoke, I would never advise that they spend 3 hours driving up to Corolla to see the lighthouse, whalehead club and Tim Buck II. That's just not sufficient enough reason. They already have a beautiful beach to enjoy and nature all around. I'd say just sit back and enjoy where they are. The only exception I make for both ends of that spectrum is a visit to Manteo which is definitely different and worth seeing in my estimate.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

I think so much of it comes down to what people in general like to do on their vacations. I can sit in a chair all day on a nice beach, but I have friends who can't stand to sit for more than an hour! Some people like to explore, and 3 hours in the car, seeing new towns, etc is fun to them. To Marylander6, you've made a good argument for settling in, and just letting the sand gravity (as we call it) take hold. The nice thing is that you can have both on the Outer Banks, and although all the towns have their nice beaches and shops as stated, each is also a little different and has something unique. Corolla does have the chance of seeing the horses, or taking the tour, which might be fun. So, maybe 3 hours in the car doesn't sound fun to some, but it's an adventure and a little exploring for someone else, and they're both good choices for a vacation.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

I agree with the previous poster. After a few days a lot of people get restless so if you have the time I recommend seeing all that the Outer Banks has to offer.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

You asked thr right question--how long, not how far.

Rodanthe is 60 miles from Corolla. It is 13 miles south of the Bonner Bridge. Braveheart18 is right on. Don't try it on a Saturday in season. Instead of the usual 1:30 each way, you could experience 3 hours each way. NC12 is only 2 lanes with a 50mph speed limit. Traffic going north through Southern Shores and Duck is pretty awful Saturday afternoons in season.

Suggest you wait until mid week on a cloudy day, and get an early start. On your way to Rodanthe, be sure to stop at Bodie Island Lighthouse. In Rodanthe, visit the Chicamacomico Life Saving Station. Contact them to see when the rescue reenactments resume. Great to watch.

http://www.chicamacomico.net/

If you want to see the Serendipity house, its new location is maybe 1/2 mile south its former location. Best to see it driving north.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 19:06
MD
Level Contributor
833 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rodanthe to Corolla

Well, my argument wasn't against exploring, just putting some context around it so folks don't go off on an all day journey and not have realistic expectations of what they will find. We always go to Manteo for a full day from Corolla. We know exactly what to expect and it's worth the 1 hour drive each way. There's lots to do and experience in Manteo that you can't do or see from any of the beach front towns. We also do lots of off-beach stuff in and around Corolla, Duck and the middle towns (Wright Brothers, Jockey's Ridge, etc).

Conversely, continuing down through Hatteras and on to Ocracoke, there's not much there that you can't see in the northern towns (more sand, more water, lots more open space, oh and another lighthouse) and it will take hours of driving each way in order to figure that out. When a vacation is only a week long and someone is enthusiastically recommending to head on down to Ocracoke, I think it's only fair to provide a strong warning that unless you are totally bored, this journey will eat up 1/7th of your vacation and you may be very disappointed. If you are a fan of lighthouses, it makes a lot of sense to at least go that far unless climbing the Currituck lighthouse satisfies that desire and another one is just more of the same but it takes you 2+ hours to get there. If you are big on windsurfing, the canadian hole is a great destination, otherwise it's just more pretty water to look at.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks