We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few nights with old mellow dog

D M
Level Contributor
45 posts
A few nights with old mellow dog

I’m looking to go to the beach for a few days in the next week or so. (The ideal day to return might be November 2 but that’s not carved in Stone)

We’ve never been to the outer banks so know nothing of the area. Since it’s just for 2-3 nights we’d rather stay in an area that’s reasonably convenient to Raleigh than spend all of our time in the car. We live in Charlotte but have to return via NCState.

Any ideas? Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

I am not sure what you mean about being near Raleigh and not in a car. To get here from Raleigh it will be 4.5+ hrs if you take I64 east. You will arrive in Manteo and then can go east to Nags Head. I would plan to stay there somewhere.

D M
Level Contributor
45 posts
2. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

What I meant is that I’d rather stay at one of the beaches closer to Raleigh - they aren’t equidistant. If we were going for a week I wouldn’t care how far it was.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

I see you have posted this question in a few other forums too. Look at Carolina Beach, NC. Cute little beach town with some dog friendly restaurants. There is a Courtyard and a Hampton Inn, but those might not be dog friendly. Lots of smaller mom and pop type motels which might be. You could also do a Google search for a condo rental..plenty if those. Easy drive on 74 from Charlotte and up 40 to Raleigh.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

Nags Head area is easy access from the west If your looking for pet friendly try the Comfort inn South they have ocean front rooms that are pet friendly. Roadway Inn also is pet friendly but across the street from the Ocean . And Dolphin Motel is also pet friendly. They are all in the same area.

Easy to get to and close to the way home amusing you are taking N.C. 64

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
173 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

Wrightsville Beach is the closest beach to Raleigh, and Carolina and Kure beaches are near there. Also try Pine Knoll Shores and the areas around Atlantic Beach.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,835 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

If you want to go to the Outer Banks from Raleigh, I'd go to the Nags Head area. It's a straight shot on 64. Should take about 3.5 hrs.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

We've stayed with our old, sort of mellow dog in Atlantic Beach at the Sea Hawk Inn. This is a comfy, no frills motel that faces directly onto a large grassy area and from there down to the beach.The DoubleTree next door is currently closed due to hurricane damage, which means that the beach should be very quiet right now. The drive down from NCSU is easy, ~3 hrs.

The Sea Hawk is a popular place, so be sure to make reservations in advance if you decide to go. Ask for a lower floor room so you can walk directly outside with your dog. Note: the "cottages" are not on the beach, only the rooms.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 02:21
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

The Atlantis Lodge in Atlantic Beach is very dog friendly as well. Best to call ahead to check on possible storm damage. https://atlantislodge.com/

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

Thank you for the Atlantis Lodge rec. Do you know if they have an elevator? Old dogs and 3rd floor stairs...

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: A few nights with old mellow dog

It's been quite a few years since we stayed here and I can't recall. Best to give them a call. 252-726-5168

Probably not so busy this time of year to get a first floor room if no elevator, though.

Reply to: A few nights with old mellow dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted