We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

My family of 6 (mainly teens) will be traveling up from Boston to the Cape Ann area for 3 days to spend one day whale watching. Which area is better to stay on the cape? I am looking where to stay and things to do besides the day of whale watching. Any suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
1 review
1. Re: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

You can do whale watching from Boston.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

When will you be taking this trip?

Alan is correct that you can take whale watching trips from Boston as well as various spots on Cape Ann and Cape Cod. Depending on the other interests of your group, we can advise on where might be most enjoyable to stay. So, what else are you interested in doing/seeing while here?

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
3. Re: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

Yes I did see that whale watching is available out of Boston. We were wanting to get out of the city which we will be exploring for several days and see something different. We are from Florida and want to see a different coast. We were looking for quaint towns to explor with pretty coastline-again something different than what we see in Florida. We are open to hiking, kayaking, or just exploring around town. There are so many different towns and was not sure which would have decent accommodations as well as things to do and see

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,096 posts
729 reviews
4. Re: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

Rockport, Newburyport and Gloucester are all quaint towns with lodging, shops, and good restaurants, right on the coast.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
183 reviews
5. Re: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help

Regardless of where you decide to stay, you can easily explore the general area and in addition, won't be far from the NH and southern ME coast. You can rent kayaks in Rockport, Essex, and Ipswich (and perhaps elsewhere), for example. I think you'll find the greatest variety of accommodations in Gloucester.

Reply to: Cape Ann accommodations and itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Ann