We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

4 posts
1 review
Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Hi all,

I've searched countless hours through these forums and other blogs and I can't make up my mind. We are traveling from LAX to Brisbane (2 weeks) and ultimately for 6 nights in Fiji. We have three toddlers, ages 4 and 2 (twins). We will be traveling to Fiji December 2nd to the 8th.

We are trying to decide between the Sheraton Villas, Radisson Blu, Outrigger Resort or Octopus Resort. We understand there are different dynamics for each and are not afraid for a little additional travel to get to a resort if needed. We are not budget travelers but value conscious. We are looking for exceptional kid facilities as well as a great kids club. We would like to hang around the pool and also have the option for great snorkeling, swimming in the ocean, etc.

The more research I do, the more I find the Radisson Blu may be our best bet for the kids and take a few day trips to experience the great waters of Fiji. What would you suggest? Really, our biggest concern with the Denarau area is the beach and which is better (Sheraton vs Radisson). The concern we have with going to the North is if the outrigger or similar resort has a good kids club, facilities, etc. We also have to keep in mind we need a room large enough for all 5. Lastly, booking an island resort sounds like about everything we need except for what about food? I think the kids clubs would be fine, but would it be too small or not enough activities to keep the toddlers entertained the entire time. Another item to consider is our flight coming home leaves at 9pm. So we are debating whether to travel our entire day from island resort to airport. We are even open to splitting up the itinerary to get the best of both worlds.

Please help!

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
283 reviews
1. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

With 6 nights and a return at 9:00pm I would be looking at staying the first night at Oasis palmsin Nadi Breakfast is included in the room rates and they offer complimentary Nadi Airport Transfers.

There off shore sister resorts are Octopus Resort, Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and Paradise Cove Resort. so I think Octopus Island would be a good fit for 5 nights. Pool, nice beach, Snorkelling etc.

Also they have their own transport that can take you to or from the island athough a smaller boat.

The Yasawas flyer arrives back at the Marina by 6:00pm so you will have no problem transfering from Denarau to the airport in time for your flight home at 9:00pm

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
150 reviews
2. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Not many kids clubs will take children that young but you can get Nanny service or babysitting.Jean Michele Cousteau resort on the northern island would be great for you all but it does have an internal flight.

For very young children some resorts aren't that good

Look at Malolo Island Resort in the Mamanuca Islands, level land through most of the resort, nice bures ,.separate room for children, lovely beach in tranquil bay. Beautuful location. Much less travelling to get there, by boat from Denarau. Has many returnee families. Octopus for children as young as yours would not be my choice.

We travelled with our family with grandchildren and it wasn't easy.

You could look at Paradise Cove also in the Yasawas easier with children again it involves the long boat trip. Unless you travel in the Captains lounge the seating on the vessel is not great layout for children. Most people who use the Captains Lounge pay the extra for a more relaxed journey again seating not great if it is fully booked you won't have room to spread out and could have to nurse the children. Seaplane and helicopter available for transfers, takes 2 to 3 1/2 boat trip or 15 to 20 min flight. Far more child friendly.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 23:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
283 reviews
3. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Before you decide check with the resort itself as some have a chat facility. Most resorts are happy to provide a babysitting/nanny service for the little ones at a very reasonable price and Fijians just love kids.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
327 reviews
4. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Radisson is fantastic for small children as the pool is lagoon style with a beach and has a lot of shallow area under a shade cloth. They also have Nanny service available. The beach at Denarau is still nice to walk on and take in the ocean sunsets. You can also swim however the water isn't the clear blue of the coral coast and islands due to the river mouth nearby.

Sheraton Villas would give you the option of self-contained and separate bedrooms so certainly also worth considering. They are located closer to the main shopping area and you can share the facilities of the other Starwood properties in the strip.

Outrigger is a very popular family resort and also offers a fantastic Nanny service. The only drawback is that you have to travel back to Denarau for island daytrips BUT the water & snorkelling off the beach there is quite good and the range of activities extensive so you may not actually WANT to go anywhere else.

1 post
1 review
5. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Hi,

We have been to Fiji twice now as a family of 5 (3 children aged 1, 3 & 4). The first time we stayed at the Hilton on Denarau and loved it! The next time we stayed at the Radisson Blu, it was nice but more hectic than the Hilton. We are about to go back again, just trying to decide if we spend the money and stay at the Hilton (kids request) or save a bit of money and stay at the Sheraton villas which are a similar set up.

We haven’t stayed anywhere other than Denarau yet as our children are so young we find it so easy there. The kids clubs and nanny service are all great on each resort. Staying on Denarau means you can travel by Bula Bus to other resorts/restaurants etc. this bus was a highlight for the kids in itself. We have found that all resorts cater for kids but when the kids are little you are better to avoid the more ‘family focused’ ones as they are generally more suited to older kids.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your journey!

4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Thank you so much for your reply. It is helpful to hear firsthand experiences. A couple of follow up questions, when you say hectic, what made the Radisson hectic? Also, what were the main difference between the Hilton and Radisson? We did consider the Hilton but I have found by far more reviews about the Sheraton(s) and Radisson concerning kids. Also, on your trips have you made any day trips? If so, which did you try and how did the children fare?

4 posts
1 review
7. Re: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!

Thanks for the great information. I will look into these. My only follow up question would be concerning the food. Are there all-inclusive options or a variety of restaurants for the island resorts? If you were to go back with the little ones, would you pick an island resort or stay on Denarau and do 1 or 2 day trips?

Reply to: Help! Young Family of 5 to Fiji for first time!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted