We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debt Default

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Debt Default

How is the debt default affecting services and resources in Puerto Rico? Are hospitals, electricity and other essentials reliable at the moment?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
331 Reviews
from US$113.00*
Free Cancellation
El Yunque Rain Forest Nature Walk and...
144 Reviews
from US$165.00*
San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
728 Reviews
from US$83.00*
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debt Default

Aside from the onslaught of people asking the exact same question regarding the default multiple times, everything seems pretty much the same.

boston
Level Contributor
605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Debt Default

^lol

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debt Default

Thanks for your response - clearly you're annoyed by people's inquiries... I've read other posts and a great deal of other material about the crisis. It doesn't seem unreasonable for people traveling to an area to ask these questions - or to ask them repeatedly as the news coming out is increasingly alarming - without being in PR or having family or friends there, it's hard to know how the things we hear on the news are actually affecting people (if at all). And this site is a travel forum intended to answer questions about travel to particular cities / countries / regions.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debt Default

I'm not clearly annoyed. That's you're interpretation, possibly one seated in embarrassment. That was not my intention. I was joking around in what seems to be a very serious platform. There is a search function at the top of the page which can be used to find the answers you seek.

Edited: 04 May 2016, 00:31
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debt Default

The news are not alarming and in fact answer your question. The government defaulted on one of many GOs so they could continue paying for local services. So nothing has changed. No need to worry. Please read the forum.

Btw, there are more private than public hospitals and the power company is a separate entity within the government. So these services will not be affected.

Edited: 04 May 2016, 01:50
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Debt Default

The news being presented in the States WRT to Puerto Rico _is_ alarming. Between the government default and Zika, the news media is portraying Armageddon on the island.

I think it completely reasonable for future travelers to ask these questions time and time again, as things do and will change over time.

Oh, and to answer the question ... core government and utility services are still intact and functioning. Visitors will not notice much of a difference, if any.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
cleveland
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debt Default

Planning a first trip in July and I agree that this is something to be aware of and follow!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debt Default

Hey folks. Detroit went bankrupt! Did they shut down Michigan? PR is very much a part of the United States. They are a commonwealth, but as with any state, the US government would step in if there were any serious safety issues. After all the US is a first world country..

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debt Default

This isn't true. The problem lies with the fact that PR cannot declare bankruptcy and the US government is failing to act on their behalf.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debt Default

This is something to be aware of but not asked about every day. The fact that the government is defaulting in one payment only means that new loans for new infrastructure works will be hard to get. So any effect will be evident in 2-3 years, not now. Services will not be affected as 1) those are budgeted for and that is why the GO payments are underfunded and 2) part is paid with federal funds.