We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fajardo, vieques, or culebra?

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
fajardo, vieques, or culebra?

my friend & i, both 56, go away every xmas (hubbies have to fend for themselves @ home!) & are debating among the 3 islands listed above. we love to hike, do a little shopping, sight-see, visit historic sites, hang out at the beach, & read. we're pescatarians (fish only - no meat) & rarely "imbibe in tasty adult beverages."

as far as accommodations, cleanliness (or lack thereof) is really the only deal-breaker, &, of course, being close to, or on, the beach would be a big plus. we have no preference as to if we stay at an inn, hotel, or b&b.

are any of these islands easier to get to than another?

suggestions and advice are needed!

would it be helpful to post this on all three forums, or will this 1 suffice?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fajardo, vieques, or culebra?

Well, Fajardo is not an island so it would be easiest to get to, as it is a 45-60 minute drive from SanJuan, however there is nothing much for tourists to do or see unless you are staying at the el Conquistador Resort, or explore the lighthouse reserve.. You sure do not go to Culebra or Vieques for shopping and Fajardo has a fairly mundane shopping experience, strip malls with Walmart and Sears and Mariannes and some shoe stores, nothing special. Vieques has a fort and a very overgrown sugar mill ruin,

You go to Culebra and Vieques for the beach.

When I look at your list of activities none of the three places mentioned seem a good fit. San Juqn has the historic and cultural sites, fun shopping and you can take a tour to the rain forest to do some hiking. There are dozens and dozens of clean hotels either on or near the ocean ifor every budget. You can find some seafood everywhere but once again the best variety will be in SanJuan

Edited: 01 May 2016, 08:37
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,778 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fajardo, vieques, or culebra?

From Fajardo you can do a day trip to San Juan to visit the historical sites and do some shopping.

Vieques and Culebra are small islands. You go there for the beach. Not much else to do, not even shopping.

I agree SJ is a better fit for you. Maybe you can split your time with one of the 2 islands, as there must be a reason you asked about them in the first place.

3. Re: fajardo, vieques, or culebra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2017, 05:17