We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Bay Fajardo

ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Bio Bay Fajardo

I am going to be at the Gran Melia 03/31 - 04/03/16. It is my first time to PR and my number one desire is to see the Bio Bay. I have read all of the reviews about the bay in Fajardo in less than ideal viewing circumstances right now. I do not have the option of going to the Bio Bay in Vieques due to time constraints. Are there any recent reports on the status of the glow in Fajardo? We will be there during ideal lunar conditions. Thanks.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

The latest report I have is from last week and they reported it was back to 80%.

But you still have to check the moon phase.

When your there it will be what is called a 3/4 moon heading for a new moon on 4/7.

ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

Thank you for the report. I'll re-check the moon phase. 80% is much better than what I expected from reviews earlier this year. Is there a specific site I can check the status of the bay?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

I usually call a few of the operators and take an average of what they say.

Then I add in what PRTC says and see how it comes out.

Yes, Its a higher number than I expected, but you do not know how long that will last as it can change in just a day.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

Just to set expectations....the kayak operators I spoke with say it is still in the 20% normal range. Hoping the warm sunny weather this week will help some. But so not expect a bright glow....be happy with a little sparkle.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

A little sparkle

I like that

:-)

ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

Thank you for the advice to contact the tour operators and PRTC. I'll have them on speed dial next week! :)

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

This is one group we talk to.

We usually email them.

http://www.yokahukayaks.com/contactus.html

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

You also should read this:

www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

I will tell you from experience, while the people at the PR tourism office are lovely people, they really have no inside scoop on things like the bio bay brightness. They do google searches for their info, just like everyone else. I have called to confirm info I have on my webpage and have had them quote me my own article! I go right to the operators now for info.

It is best to contact at least one operator. I suggest checking Enchanted Island EcoTours...they posted about the problem of the bay on their Facebook page and they will not sugar coat the issue.

ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bio Bay Fajardo

Puertoricodaytrips.com has been my favorite site thus far for great first-hand narratives on what to do on my visit. I appreciate all of the feedback, including Enchanted Island's Facebook page.